Noddy24

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 05:15 am
When I was a teenager of wild abandon in the '50's I used to chant:

The First of May, The First of May
Outdoor necking starts today.

When I was Single Again in the '70's, I heard:

The First of May, The First of May
Outdoor f****** starts today.

What is the Beltaine cry in the beginning of the third millennium?

And how are you celebrating May Day?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,654 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 05:23 am
Well, I wanted to go canoeing, but it looks like it will be rainy today, so scratch that. I will spend the morning adjusting my watch, which now says April 31. Hopefully I will finish this great book that I am reading. I have already renewed it once, and it is due back at the library tomorrow. Seems that I have a problem spending most of my free time on this blankety blank computer. Wonder why! Very Happy
0 Replies

BeachBum

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 06:38 am
I think now it's:

The First of May, the First of May
Full body condom wrapping starts today.

or

Another MidEast war starts today.

or

More f#$king layoffs coming today

or

Think I caught SARS today

Mayday. Good times, no?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 06:56 am
Well, Noddy, I colect some Maybells, danced around the Mapole, drink some pints of May-bowle (may punch), listened to the speech of 2nd secretary of the regional Miners Union re. Labour Day (traditionally today in Europe). made a ride with friends on the bike and got terribly drunk at various tourists pubs, ...

Though this are only a few of the many May attractions in Germany, I had a "normal" day until now (and no change is in sight): driving to mother's, looking after her, doing the cooking, later driving there again, bringing her to bed, locking the house ...).
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 01:12 pm
Phoenix--

There are no seasons in cyberspace, but the overdue bell on the library tolls with a gold-plated clapper.

Did you get your watch out of April and into the second half of spring?

Beach Bum--

You're a Philosophical Poet poet of Gloom & Doom springtime. I agree that since the days of our youth, the merryness of May has been adulterated.

Walter Hintler--

I admire the number of unending days of infinite kindness in your life. Old Age isn't for sissies and only the strong arrive there unbowed.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 01:46 pm
I'm in New England, we don't do Maypoles (heathen symbol) as for the other stuff we aren't saying.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 02:36 pm
Acquiunk

Actually, a Maypole isn't heathen at all but a tradition (in Germany/Bavaria at least), to show the freedom of communties/towns/guilts, going back to 16th century.
History of Maypole
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 03:15 pm
In England it went back a good deal further and the Puritans who settled New England regarded it as a heathanish celebration. The colonist at Plymouth actually attacked another early English settlement in Massachusetts at Wymouth and tore their maypole down.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 03:28 pm
No doubt, the Maypole goes back to the Greek, the Celts and Germanic tribes knew it and the church tried to forbide this tradition between 13th and 15th century.

I was referring to the "non-heathen" tradition, which started in 16th century - on the European continent as well as in Britain.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 03:41 pm
Maypoles are phallic.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 03:48 pm
Well, now we know why they were called Puritans, don't we?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 03:49 pm
The first of May, the first of May,
The rent shall not get paid today.

Dog went to the vet today.

soon will be my wife's birthday.

If I don't plan a party soon,
it certainly will be my ruin.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 05:07 pm
The first of May
The first of May
And...all I can say is Hay........chooh!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 07:24 pm
Well, since 1989 I don't participate in any May day festivities and I don't miss it. Waiving the soviet flags, dressed up in the Pioneer uniform, listen to hours-long speeches about brighter tomorrows (haha, not unlike those we hear from the representatives of this fine country lately),go put flowers on the tomb of unknown soldier, and such fun. so i merely went for a jog today.
Maypoles are fun though, in my part of the world they simply celebrate spring - crown carries Morena (scarecrow on a stick), burn and throw her into a river (she represents winter and death) and build Maypoles in girls' frontyards. Being heathen myself I see nothing wrong with that.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 07:36 pm
And a Merry Maytime to all.

Hold your dominions.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 12:04 am
Here's to May
Why?
Cause' she's OK!
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 12:47 am
Shocked Mayday, mayday,
Dubya was really flying today,
And boating tonight.

Shocked Mayday, Mayday,
he really is a fright.
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 01:05 am
Is May OK?
Hey!
Is May Ok?
Yeah! Yeah!
May is OK!
0 Replies

edithdoll

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 01:09 pm
Hi all.
Some great ones here--
Belated welcome to Able 2 Know to you BeachBum
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 04:10 am
Well, when I lived in the USSR, the 1st of May was a holiday, an International Day of the Workers' Solidarity. The tradition, however was created by the U.S. trade unions in 19th century and was imported from the USA...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The First of May, The First of May
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 10:34:26