Discovering that You Have Had it Wrong All the Time

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 11:32 am
This morning I went for a minor medical procedure. It involved some IV anaesthesia, & I was told to take my jewelry off.

I did not want to take off my engagement and wedding rings though, so the nurse said that she would wrap some tape around it.

I have been in the hospital for operations a number of times in my lifetime, and I thought that the nurse taped your rings for two reasons:

The jewelry might get lost during the operation.
The patient could claim that someone took his jewelry during the time when he was on the anaesthesia.

Sounds reasonable- I have taken this "fact" for granted for years.

NOT!!

The nurse explained that if you are in a room where they are using electrical equipment, they don't want any metal on the patient that could cause burns by arcing of the equipment from the metal.

You learn something new every day. Has there been anything that YOU have taken for granted, that you subsequently found was false?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,685 • Replies: 41
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 12:41 pm
Coffee is bad for us. Wink
0 Replies

BeachBum

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 12:42 pm
My IQ. Thought it was in the upper 100s, but found out it's single digits. Go figure.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 12:45 pm
I just found out this week I'm supposed to pee standing up.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 02:30 pm
so until you get the hang of it, i guess we'll call you Sloppy doo hoo.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 02:44 pm
I was embarrassed in College to learn that a 'Chest of Drawers' was not a 'Chester Drawers.'
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 03:51 pm
Damnyankee is actually two words.

OH, and somewhere around age 14 I began to get the idea that bed and board weren't necessairly the same thing.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 04:03 pm
Could never understand why I couldn't have my cake and eat it. Why have it at all if I can't eat it, I always wondered. Eventually it dawned on me that the expression concerns simultaneous eating and possession. Or something like that. I guess I'm still confused about this...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 04:13 pm
Hmm....two things, recently discovered that I am NOT the center of the universe, despite what I thought was popular opinion Very Happy, that, and realizing that CCR were NOT actually singing "There's a bathroom on the right..."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 04:29 pm
I thought "triumph" was pronounced "trimf" for the longest time...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 05:11 pm
Once when I was very young, my mother kiddingly mispronounced a word. For years I thought that the word fragile was pronounced, FRAYgul!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 05:40 pm
A French foreign exchange student who stayed with my extended family had prepared a strange greeting for his temporary new family when they met him at the airport. He went up to them and said, "Hi! I am unique!"

Only he pronounced it "Eunuch..."
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 05:41 pm
Patiodog. THAT is funny! Laughing
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 05:51 pm
He was a funny guy. Lives in a van with his climbing gear now, but funny nonetheless.
0 Replies

BeachBum

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 06:25 am
You mean, he lives in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!!

I just found out women can have orgasms, too. I'm not telling my wife.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 08:07 am
Believe me, BB: she knows. She knows so well I threw my back out.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 08:13 am
This happens to me often, but I have a terrible memory too, so I can't remember any of it.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 08:41 am
hmmmmm...

I didn't know that about arcing either, Phoenix.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 08:57 am
Can't tell you how disappointed and bothered I was to find out that the expression was not "I got a heart on!"
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 09:10 am
I had a big box of old Mad magazines when I was a kid, and I'd read through them. There was one with illustrated cliches, and one of them was "pulling a boner." Just a guy dragging a wagon full of skeletons in the picture.

Thing was, I thought "pulling a boner" meant something other than making a stupid mistake, and I kept poring through all the magazines for more dirty jokes...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Discovering that You Have Had it Wrong All the Time
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 01:00:03