What does one wear to:

Lash

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 06:15 pm
Amigo wrote:
Lately i've noticed the left and right wing people are acting normal and the normal people are going nuts.

[size=7]Hi, Amigo. The secret: no one is normal. Carry on. Chin up.[/size]

Very Happy
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 06:15 pm
If you've never seen male ballet dancers in feathered pants, let me just say.....you're not missing anything.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 06:31 pm
I was snowed in there for three weeks in a hotel. I thought I was in the shining.No, I guess not. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 10:21 pm
Amigo, what are you saying, that I didn't give k enough advice about tacky? Honey, you should come to New Mexico for tacky. Now that I'm older, I have come to love anything shiny, glittery, big earrings and, yes, tacky. Freedom!
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 10:28 pm
Diane wrote:
Amigo, what are you saying, that I didn't give k enough advice about tacky? Honey, you should come to New Mexico for tacky. Now that I'm older, I have come to love anything shiny, glittery, big earrings and, yes, tacky. Freedom!

You should come to SF someday, we'll show you tacky!!

Anon
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 10:39 pm
Ok.... a couple points. At small theatre venues, you don't want to wear anything too flashy because you don't want to upstage the actors. AND, you don't want to wear anything to flashy to a Ryan Landry show or he just might lambast you as you sit, shriveling into your folding chair.

The show was brilliant. I have only seen two Landry shows, as of yet, but I will be seeing as many more as I can.

Death of a saleslady was much along the same lines as Death of a Salesman (I never did see the original play), except that the salesperson was a woman and she had 2 grown daughters. One daughter was a slut and the other a dyke. The husband was in a wheelchair. AND, it was wickedly funny.

The saleslady's mind was going downhill fast and was halucinating, among other things, a sexy bikini-clad man.

Still the story was sad and poignant. My bro had been feeling down and was looking forward to being cheered up. He wasn't. And then he found out his first boyfriend may be dead now.

Interesting night all around. Wonderful play.

http://www.golddustorphans.com/saleslady.jpg
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 11:23 pm
Well, littlek, at least this sounds like it had its funny, upbeat moments (unlike the original Death of a Salesman).

At least you weren't subjected to a play I once saw in an off-off-off Broadway production called "Dance With Death."

The title pretty much speaks for itself. Depressing? A drunken Eugene O'Neill at three o'clock in the morning would have been more upbeat...I can't remember the playwright's name....let's hope for his sake nobody does....

Sorry your brother's feeling down. I hope he feels better soon.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 11:26 pm
Stray - he has had depression forever. Right now he thinks no one came to see the play with him because they think he's boring. In reality, the thought of seeing this particular play on an extremely cold night probably made his friends run for the warmth of their beds.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 11:37 pm
Yes, it really is cold all over the northeast tonight!

I'm sure you've already heard this suggestion, littlek, but has your brother tried to get some counseling?

It sounds like he tends to think everything is his fault. A good counselor could help him see things differently.

I had some counseling a few years ago. One time, my therapist asked me if I thought he seemed distracted during our session. I hated to say anything, but I did think he seemed distracted and inattentive. I thought I must be boring him.

He told me he'd had trouble sleeping the night before due to back trouble. It had nothing to do with me. He pointed out to me that I was quick to accept the blame for things -- and that all too often when others seem distracted, restless or uninterested -- it has more to do with them that it does with us. We can never tell what's going on with other people.

That's one of the benefits of good counseling -- it helps us to realize that we are not always the cause of everything happening around us.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 11:40 pm
Oh yeah, he's had decades of counseling and a variety of anti-depressants.

I'm glad your counseling worked so well!
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 11:44 pm
Thanks, littlek, but I probably need to get some more! Razz

I hope your brother can find something that will work better for him.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 11:45 pm
Me too, Straycat. I worry about him.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 06:33 am
littlek wrote:
http://www.golddustorphans.com/saleslady.jpg

I'm glad you decided on something simple to wear.
Less distracting for the actors.

Has your brother ever gone on a cruise, l'k? I recently heard good things about an all-gay cruise from a co-worker. Almost made me wonder if I could pass.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 12:44 pm
Anan, sweetie, I lived in SF for three years during the 60's, in the Haight/Ashbury. You know I know tacky!

What's happening with me is a letting go of longtime inhibitions--to much time living in straight-laced Connecticut. It's good to be back in the land of primary colors.

Littlek, the play sounds wonderful; I'd love to see it if it ever comes to ABQ.

Really sorry to hear of your brother's depression. My medication works pretty well, but for awhile, the psychiatrist was beginning to think that I was what is called a, "non-responder." It took most of a year to find a combination that worked. It's a good thing I was able to last that long before going into a deep depression.

Depression is so hard on the family because you feel that you should be able to cheer him up or do something that will really help. Knowing you a litte, from a few Boston meetings, I know you are a kind, gentle, nurturing lady. He is lucky to have you.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 02:13 pm
Diane wrote:
Anan, sweetie, I lived in SF for three years during the 60's, in the Haight/Ashbury. You know I know tacky!

Ah yes, those magic moments! I remember them ... oh so well Smile

Anon
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 02:22 pm
Well, I don't remember all of those magic moments, for the obvious reasons....
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 02:25 pm
Diane wrote:
Well, I don't remember all of those magic moments, for the obvious reasons....

I didn't say I remembered them all Smile

Anon
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 05:34 pm
I dunno what he'd think about an all-gay cruise. I'm sure he's heard of it, though.

Thanks for your concern, Diane. I think that he and I have very similar issues and perspectives on ourselves. It's sort of scary how much we think alike. Our other two siblings seem to be more different. The biggest emotional/spychological difference between my brother and I is that he gets much more depressed than I. For whatever reason. So, we can sort of check each other when the other one goes too far down a stupid thought process. I think I was able to convince him that his friends didn't come out because the play is depressing and the temps were in the single digits - not because they thought he was boring. <eye roll>.

I haven't spoken with him today. Maybe I should call.... maybe tomorrow.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 05:37 pm
How'ed the outfit go over?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 05:41 pm
Amigo, I was in a gay bar with extragavent queen actors and a room full of gay men - no one noticed me at all....
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 01:35:20