Is it a good idea for an American guy to move to Japan?

Lucien

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 06:17 pm
The reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking about moving there, because frankly, the U.S. is getting kind of boring. What's it like to live in Japan? Feedback?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,734 • Replies: 15
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 09:34 pm
There are some definite drawbacks. For example, eveything is much more expensive. An apple could cost as much as $10.00. Housing, if you can find any, is astonomical. Also, you can never become a naturalized citizen. If you aren't working full time or married to a Japanese citizen then out you go!

Besides that, I find the people are wonderful and the food is great. My brother lived there for 20 years but as soon as he resign his job he was forced to leave no matter how much money he had.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 09:05 am
NickFun wrote:
My brother lived there for 20 years but as soon as he resign his job he was forced to leave no matter how much money he had.

Are you serious? Shocked
0 Replies

raymond chan

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 09:39 am
NickFun wrote:
My brother lived there for 20 years but as soon as he resign his job he was forced to leave no matter how much money he had.

Why!?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 10:16 am
Becuase there is no such thing as a "naturalized citizen". Even today the immigration laws are very strict. There are no Green Cards and you can't become a citizen unless you marry a Japanese citizen.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 10:34 am
NickFun wrote:
Becuase there is no such thing as a "naturalized citizen". Even today the immigration laws are very strict. There are no Green Cards and you can't become a citizen unless you marry a Japanese citizen.

Oh!! Strange!!!... That way they will never be globalized? (They are already very westernized in their lifestyle, though)
0 Replies

raymond chan

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 11:28 am
NickFun wrote:

Just go and marry one!!
0 Replies

raymond chan

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 11:31 am
vinsan wrote:

Oh!! Strange!!!... That way they will never be globalized? (They are already very westernized in their lifestyle, though)

Terrible Japanese!!
0 Replies

lemonegg2001

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 09:29 am
At least I know China already initialized green card program Smile
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 09:34 am
I think of them as such a modern country, Im amazed they dont want to incorporate other citizens without marriage!

Lucien, would you live ina built up area or a place with a trickling stream and cherry blssom everywhere?

Oh, they have walls made of paper, that would put me off.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 09:53 am
It is very expensive and difficult to find housing, even if you have a job.

They do not want foreign workers to compete with their own work force and that is why you must leave if you do not have a job; I don't understand how they can toss you out if you can pay your bills. Their ecomony is not as booming as it was in the 80's, but their employement levels are good and companies are generous to their employees- if you can find someone to hire you. Unless you work in the sex trade you will need to speak Japanese on a functional level.

I'm not sure it's any more exciting than the US, the Japanese seem much more conservative than Americans in most areas of life. Japanese young people are a real mix of conservative manners and artistic expression. It would be a challenge to learn the language and customs. I was impressed by how clean and beautiful the country was, they are concerned about pollution and how their public spaces look. I loved their respect for their past, even though their business model is totally modern. If you do go - make sure and visit Kyoto, it's beautiful and like visiting 15th century Japan.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 09:56 am
Green Witch wrote:
Unless you work in the sex trade you will need to speak Japanese on a functional level.

Everyone I know (with one exception, a scientist) who has moved to Japan worked as an English teacher. There was (I don't know if there still is) great demand for native speakers who don't necessarily have formal education training -- they wanted someone to just *talk* with them. Convey idioms, slang, intonations, etc.
0 Replies

Lucien

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 02:14 pm
material girl wrote:
Lucien, would you live ina built up area or a place with a trickling stream and cherry blssom everywhere?

I would buy a pagoda in an area with cherry blossoms and a trickling stream...
0 Replies

Blackrock

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 11:53 pm
First let me say Japan is a awesome country with great people and great culture. Americans are very welcome in most of Japan. I recomend a visit from a travelers perspective first b4 a fullon move. If you are looking for adventure no doubt you will find it there. Tokyo in paticular is a great place to visit with a thriving foreign community. http://metropolis.japantoday.com/tokyo/449/feature.asp
This link is to a local Tokyo magazine created by foreigners in Tokyo for foreigners there.
Enjoy
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 08:36 am
Japan is remains one of the most homogenes counrtries in the world. And, Japanese as a general rule are the most chauvinistic. Japanese chauvinism is very akin to racism, and this isn't the place where being a minority of any sort is a "good thing". Individualism has never really caught-on. Everywhere people are polite, but the politeness is only skin deep. Non-Japanese are rarely fully accepted, even after very long associations.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 09:09 am
let me expand on a couple of points made earlier. for those unfamiliar with my particulars, i was born in japan, my late mother was japanese, and i speak the language. i may even be able to claim citizenship if i wanted to.

a likely reason no one can become a naturalized japanese is that it's a country with an increasingly older citizenry and very liberal benefits for the elderly. it's like the situation with social security in the US, but maybe on a much more precarious footing.

and teaching english is a good way to spend time in japan & get to know the country, but not a way to make much money from what i understand. the only qualification needed is being a native english speaker with a 4 year college degree. (although if you're not white, you might be a minority of one at your workplace)
0 Replies