Danger on the High Seas

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 08:48 am
"Ship!"

That single word carried across the ship and awoke us all. There were about thirty of us on board, and until the scream we had been lazily discussing our plans. We had sailed the world and accumulated an enormous amount of goods which we intended to sell in San Franciso. Basking in the sun on the deck of the ship we talked of our dreams.

But then the yell of "Ship!" It was Pierre LaBlanc, a wiry fellow I particularly liked. He had a peg-leg, an eyepatch, and an ever-present parrot perched comfortably on his shoulder. As we looked toward Pierre he and his parrot were staring at the horizon, at a small speck in the distance.

We all knew it was a ship, but what kind? Friend or foe? These were dangerous waters off the west coast of South America; waters rife with pirates.

There was concern on every man's face. Necks craned as the men tried to ascertain the occupants of the approaching vessel. I couldn't wait. I was a man of action. Grabbing the telescope from a pile of rope, I raced upward, toward the crow's nest. Higher and higher I climbed, my breathing heavy, but regular. Finally I reached my destination and raised the telescope.

What I saw caused the grip of death to seize my heart. The Jolly Roger. The dreaded flag waved menacingly.

I glanced down at he deck. All twenty-nine men were looking upward, waiting for the word they didn't want to hear. But what choice did I have?

The winds swirled around me as I screamed at the top of my lungs, "PIRATES!"

"Gustav, would you please shut up and get down from my coffee table! And put my kaleidoscope back! That is quite expensive!"

The voice belonged to Mrs. Bigalke. She was speaking from a chair in her living room. Also in the room were a couple dozen townfolk, gathered to have a discussion about the new Walmart moving into town and what could be done to stop this intrusion by the corporate giant.

I looked at the couch where Gertude sat. Her eyes were moist and she was wringing her hands. Flanking her were the Becker twins and they were leaning toward her, whispering consolatory offerings into her ears. I could hear sentence fragments -- "...didn't take medication..." and "...get out, Gert...now.."

I looked down at the kaleidoscope in my hand. It was nice and I could understand where it could be quite expensive. It appeared to be teak, well-crafted and-

"GUSTAV!"

My head snapped up. It was Mayor Baggins. His face was red and he was staring at me in a very disapproving fashion. His eyes gestured toward the overstuffed chair in the corner. I could take a hint. I got off the coffee table and put the kaleidoscope back on the desk as I made my way to the chair. I sat down and Mrs. Bigalke's cat jumped into my lap. Petting the cat, I looked at Mrs. Bigalke and motioned for her to continue.

She gave me eye-daggers and then turned to the crowd. "As I was saying", she began, "If this store is allowed to move into town all...blah....blah...blah..blah."

I was already mentally escaping again. Off to another adventure.

Has this ever happened to you? In the middle of an excruciatingly boring meeting you have to either make a mental escape or jab an ice pick into your eye.

I choose to go the mental escape route.

This thread will be devoted to daydreaming stories and how the valuable daydream helps us all cope with a stress-filled world.

Someone.... please begin.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 472 • Replies: 7
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 09:39 am
I have to sit through these kinds of meetings on a near daily basis. During these meetings, I often gaze at the 7th floor window (which just happens to be my only source of daylight during the day) and wonder what it would be like to jump out of it.

I usually have visions of me quickly plummeting to the hard concrete, and my death, below. Before I hit, one word escapes my lips... freedom...
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 05:39 pm
I like to imagine myself changing the course of history.

In my last daydream, I was Stray Cat Todd Lincoln, sitting beside the President enjoying a night at the theatuh, from the Presidential Box.

Suddenly, my finely tuned feline senses tell me that something's wrong. Turning my head slightly, I notice from the corner of my sharp cat's eyes that John Wilkes Booth is stealthily approaching Abe. I immediately haul off and bite his wrist with my sharp kitty teeth. He howls in pain, and drops the derringer he's holding.

Then I lift up my hoop skirts, petticoats and all, and give him a swift kick in the balls. He's rolling on the floor in anguish.

Just to add insult to injury I spit, "You sucked in that last scene, Booth. The critics are so going to pan you."

Or I'm Stray Cat Kennedy. I'm sitting next to the President, in an open convertible with my little pillbox hat on my head, waving to the crowds on a warm November morning in Dallas.

But suddenly, my feline instincts make me aware of a menacing presence watching us. I immediately spring onto the Pres. and pull him down deep into the safety of the back seat.

Shots ring out!! But the Pres. is spared. Unfortunately, the chauffer is hit, and the car begins to veer madly all over the street.

I spring into action, and pushing the chauffer aside, I safely guide the car along, crashing it harmlessly into the grassy knoll. No one is hurt, except of course, for the chauffer who is bleeding profusely.

So, no great loss.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 05:55 pm
bm .....as I am just about to go to bed.

I've only read Gus's bit so far, and will no doubt be dreaming of pirates attacking Wal-Mart all bloody night.

Nice writing, mate.

G'night all.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 06:22 pm
I loooooove this thread!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 06:35 pm
a refreshing bit of writing, gus.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 06:44 pm
Yes! And Stray Cat, too!
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 07:37 pm
I imagine myself riding bareback on a horse out in an open field.

Running as fast as the wind.

The tree's flying by so fast they are only a green blur.

The sound of his hooves pounding and pounding with the rhythm of my own heart.

The faster he runs the faster my heart beats...

My hair is flying in the wind and it feels so good.

The farther we go...

The longer we run...

The lighter I feel...

No worries...

No problems...

No doubt...

No Fear...

I am free...

Completely free...

Nothing holding me back.

Just me, a horse, and the wind....

Then suddenly I feel a tap on my arm and hear...

"Hey... Robin... I thought you were taking notes for the meeting?"
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Danger on the High Seas
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 06:50:22