Reinforcement Theory

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 12:20 pm
Any of you folks learn reinforcement theory in college? Do you remember what it said about positive reinforcement? Do you remember what it said about intermittent positive reinforcement, and how it affects the probability of a behavior?

Did you ever learn about extinguishing a behavior?

Just wondered!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 800 • Replies: 13
No top replies

JPB

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 12:27 pm
Laughing I voted for wise ass, just because it was an option.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 12:34 pm
J_B wrote:
Laughing I voted for wise ass, just because it was an option.

Ok- That's a credible opinion.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 12:41 pm
I haven't got a clue as to what you're talking about. Some of us dummies never went to college. Sad
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 01:06 pm
Squeaky wheels and yammering toddlers.....
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 03:20 pm
Positive reinforcement is a crock...I never had any and I turned out just fine.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 05:40 pm
Are you talking about behaviorism? That's a theory generated by B.F. Skinner, involving the use of positive and negative reinforcement to modify behavior.

Yeah, I heard of it! Smile

(I believe Skinner applied the behaviorism theory to the way he raised his children.)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 06:11 pm
Stray Cat- Yup!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 06:18 pm
One thing I want to point out is that positive reinforcement is a reaction at all -- like, even saying "you're an idiot!!" -- whereas negative reinforcement is saying nothing. (People often think that positive reinforcement is "you're right!" and negative reinforcement is "you're an idiot!", when in fact they both are positive reinforcement as they are both a stimulus that makes the response in question more likely to recur.)

Just sayin'.

No reason.

Here's where I explained it more thoroughly once:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1297900#1297900
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 06:22 pm
Sozobe wrote:
People often think that positive reinforcement is "you're right!" and negative reinforcement is "you're an idiot!", when in fact they both are positive reinforcement as they are both a stimulus that makes the response in question more likely to recur.

Thanks, Soz.............I do believe that you have gotten my drift!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 07:01 pm
Yeah yeah yeah, but ... I'm an insomniac ;-)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 07:06 pm
Good grief, yes, Phoenix. I learned all that behavior mod stuff in grad school. Then, of course, there's the extinguishing of behavior by absolutely NO reinforcement.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 07:10 pm
I never said I was not unlike my pigeons
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 07:12 pm
sozobe wrote:
One thing I want to point out is that positive reinforcement is a reaction at all -- like, even saying "you're an idiot!!" -- whereas negative reinforcement is saying nothing. (People often think that positive reinforcement is "you're right!" and negative reinforcement is "you're an idiot!", when in fact they both are positive reinforcement as they are both a stimulus that makes the response in question more likely to recur.)

Just sayin'.

No reason.

Here's where I explained it more thoroughly once:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1297900#1297900
Presupposes response in question
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Reinforcement Theory
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 06:02:48