The Year of the Dog

Noddy24

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 01:45 pm
As an eclectic Westerner, I generally note Chinese New Year with a smile and a nod (and another chance to make resolutions).

For several weeks now I've been informing the Family Dog that on January 29, we'll enter the Year of the Dog and that she'll be entitled to ask (not recieve, but ask) for unlimited pig ears.

What does "The Year of the Dog" mean in Asian terms?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,232 • Replies: 22
No top replies

msolga

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 06:10 am
bm

(I'd like to know more, too! Very Happy )
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 06:14 am
And what's it to the fire Dragon? (as in, anyone know of a good site with chinese horoscopes for this year?)
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 07:01 am
Except for a remarkable fact that house dogs look happy with their owner, I do not think the "dog year" has a particular sense :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 07:25 am
Awww! Sad
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 08:25 am
Year o' the dog: http://www.c-c-c.org/chineseculture/zodiac/dog.html oh, and they're compatible with (among others) tiger people. I'm a tiger person Smile http://www.c-c-c.org/chineseculture/zodiac/tiger.htm
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 08:30 am
We rule . . .
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 11:02 am
<friendly woof at Jes>

Yes! It's my year!! (Let's see, how was 1994 for me -- hey, it was pretty good! Big changes that year -- it was when I decided to get my master's degree in Deaf Ed, and started it off. Hmmm...)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 11:10 am
Actually, I have a question. I've always thought I was a dog (no comments!), but I was born in December of 1970. If the Chinese New Year starts at the end of January, does that mean that I was actually born in the previous Chinese Zodiac year? (Rooster, evidently...)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 11:12 am
No no wait that's not how it works. It would be January 29th 1970 through January 29th 1971.

Whew!

(I like dogs better.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 02:50 pm
Dak--

I'm a dragon myself.

http://www.usbridalguide.com/special/chinesehoroscopes/Dragon.htm

THE FIRE DRAGON 1916 AND 1976

The Fire Dragon is a powerful force to be reckoned with. This is a Dragon doubled! The Fire Dragon can move from calm and collected to combustible in a matter of seconds. In some ways the Fire Dragon is his or her own worst enemy. These Dragons cannot help feeling they are valuable and all-knowing. When they are right their vehemence and vigor is an asset to the cause, and though they value objectivity, they do not always employ the best decision-making measures, and sometimes jump to the wrong conclusion. They also suffer from recklessness and quick tempers. Yet, when they do keep their temper, emotions, and rivaling spirit under control, they emanate a commanding influence on other people.

The Dragon

The Dragon personality The Dragon is a creature of myth and legend. A symbol of good fortune and sign of intense power, the Oriental Dragon is regarded as a divine beast - the reverse of the malicious monster that Westerners felt necessary to find and slay. In Eastern philosophy, the Dragon is said to be a deliverer of good fortune and a master of authority. Therefore, those people born in Dragon years are to be honored and respected.

Years of the Dragon

Fifth in the cycle, Dragon Years follow the Rabbit and recur every twelfth year. The Chinese New Year does not fall on a specific date, so it is essential to check the calendar to find the exact date on which each Dragon Year actually begins

1904 * 1916 * 1928 * 1940 * 1952 * 1964 * 1976 * 1988 * 2000

THE SIGN OF THE DRAGON

The key to the Dragon personality is that Dragons are the free spirits of the Zodiac. Conformation is a Dragon's curse. Rules and regulations are made for other people. Restrictions blow out the creative spark that is ready to flame into life. Dragons must be free and uninhibited. The Dragon is a beautiful creature, colorful and flamboyant. An extroverted bundle of energy, gifted and utterly irrepressible, everything Dragons do is on a grand scale - big ideas, ornate gestures, extreme ambitions. However, this behavior is natural and isn't meant for show. Because they are confident, fearless in the face of challenge, they are almost inevitably successful. Dragons usually make it to the top. However, Dragon people be aware of their natures. Too much enthusiasm can leave them tired and unfulfilled. Even though they are willing to aid when necessary, their pride can often impede them from accepting the same kind of help from others. Dragons' generous personalities give them the ability to attract friends, but they can be rather solitary people at heart. A Dragon's self-sufficiency can mean that he or she has no need for close bonds with other people.

DRAGON FACTS:

People born in the Year of the Dragon share certain characteristics. The Dragon sign is an abbreviated way of characterizing that individual's personality. Following are features associated with the sign of the Dragon.

Fifth in order, Chinese name-LONG, sign of luck
Hour-7am-8:59 a.m. Month-April
Western Counterpart-Aries

CHARACTERISTICS

Innovative
Enterprising
Flexible
Self-assured
Brave
Passionate
Conceited
Tactless
Scrutinizing
Unanticipated
Quick-tempered

IN YOUR ELEMENT

The characteristics of the Dragon Sign are tempered by one of the five Chinese elements of Metal, Water, Wood, Fire and Earth overlaying a 5-year cycle of characteristics on the original 12-year cycle.

THE METAL DRAGON 1940 AND 2000

Truthful but extreme, courageous but unyielding, Metal Dragons have a strength similar to the Dragon fire. Metal Dragons succeed through determination. They are mighty and respect people who stand up to them. In troubled times, these Dragons make great allies, but become ferocious challengers. Metal Dragons can often calm others through their forceful personalities. They seek action, and things are never better than when they are defending a thought or belief about which they have complete faith. Metal Dragons like to lead, and have an affect that makes others want to follow them. Yet even if they attract no support they will fight alone

http://www.jadedragon.com/articles/animal062.html

Dragon: Dynamic, astute, confident, enthusiastic, conscientious, popular, scrupulous, sentimental, emotional, fun-loving, healthy, generous, dynamic, artistic, lucky, successful, influential. Also hasty, anxious, stubborn, willful, loud, irritable, grouchy, exacting. Good as an artist, priest, or politician. Compatible with Monkeys and Rats, not Dogs.

In 2006: Sorry, Dragon, but this is your most uncomfortable year of the 12 year cycle. Expect plans to go awry, problems to pop up, and people to seem contrary! Try to avoid confrontations this year. Consider changing your environment to ease some stress. Not a good year to get married.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 03:09 pm
All hail the dragon!

Sozlet is one, too. (Metal dragon, apparently.)

Good company.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 03:12 pm
Quote:
THE METAL DOG 1910 AND 1970

Metal Dogs have extremely high standards and expect a lot of themselves and of others. They are loyal and hold a strong outlook about the direction they want their life to take. They choose their friends and causes with care, as they do not plan to ever not support these people and things again. Once they have committed themselves, there is little to no turning back. They are bold, unafraid to disagree out loud about anything they feel is unjust or unfair. Metal Dogs are easily stressed if a plan does not go accordingly. They find it difficult to relax when there are things to be done.

Yeah, that's not me at ALL. <coughing fit>
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 03:34 pm
Sozlet is an admirable Metal Dragon.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 05:03 pm
Ah, I'm a water Tiger. And a Virgo. And a (really bad) harmonica player. Smile http://www.usbridalguide.com/special/chinesehoroscopes/Tiger.htm
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 06:42 pm
Me a horse. :wink: A horse who aspires to the freedom and the destination long away in the mist.
0 Replies

silverrainbow

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 09:12 am
i'm a malicious ,poisonous and intellectual snake , hehe ,I was born in 1989
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 09:48 am
the best hours for me are 7am to 8:59am? that's about the time when i snooze every day - which can and does go on for an hour, hour and a half every day.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 09:49 am
Who says snoozing isn't the best time of the day?

(Where'd you find that info, I didn't see it...)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:21 am
I'm a metal rat.
0 Replies