"WOMEN MUST HAVE A VOICE IN THE NEW IRAQ"

msolga

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 10:59 pm
An article from my local newspaper which I found quite interesting ... The writer (Pamela Bone) argues that the role of women should be far more prominent in the new, "liberated" Iraq if that country is to move forward.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/04/18/1050172756626.html

This at a time when (apparently, according to other newspaper reports I've read) there is a push from some elements within Iraq for the country to become more religious, similar to Iran ....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,394 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 11:16 pm
This could be dangerous, you know. Let women start exercising new freedoms and then crush them when the wind shifts. If I were an Iraqi woman, I would proceed very cautiously
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 11:37 pm
Yes, Roger, who knows what local groups will end up exercising power in the future? ... & what values they'll hold? So proceeding with caution would probably be quite sensible in this current state of flux.
But I do agree with Pamela Bone (the writer of the article) that the most civilized societies ae those in which the women have been educated & empowered.
I think the worry is that Iraqis might choose to go down a more religious fundamentalist path, in which women will have even less freedom than the had.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 01:31 am
Iraqi women already had much more in the way of freedom than Saudi Arabian women do.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 01:48 am
So did Afghani city women - pre-Taliban - 'tis the politicisation of Islam - ie embracing fundamentalism as a political act, if you see what I mean, that I fear.

Iranian women had great freedom under the Shah - and many, themselves, embraced fundamentalism partly as an act of revolution against the Shah's rule.
0 Replies