Warped Hat

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 04:16 pm
I received a very nice gray wool fedora for Christmas. The tag on the inside said "100% waterproof," so foolishly enough I assumed it was waterproof and wore it in the rain. After that, the brim warped and curled up on half of the hat, making it very silly looking. Is there any way this can be corrected?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 937 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 07:17 pm
I hope so, otherwise you will have to wear a check shirt and chew tobacco all the time.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 07:19 pm
I got the same effect with mine, but had to run it through the washer a few times to get there.

You might ask your cleaner if they block hats. I think that's what blocking means.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 08:40 pm
Try to find a milliner.

If you can't find one in New Jersey, I'm sure you could find one in New York that you could either take or ship your hat to.

Where in New Jersey are you? I was born there, visited there maybe 2 months ago.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 01:08 pm
Could you try to steam it; maybe hang it in the bathroom and run a hot shower (but NOT on the hat!!!) for a while?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 01:23 pm
Go online for a hatter--that is what people who make and repair hats are called. Roger is correct, "repairing" hats which have lost their shape is called blocking. You might have your best luck contacting a hatter who deals in "cowboy hats," as they would be the most numerous and sophisticated of hatters in the United States. I don't wear hats, although i've owned them for silly reasons (i.e., to have them for silly occasions) and i have had hats cleaned and blocked. That was many years ago, though, and as few men now wear hats (other than baseball caps, which ruin their hair and make them look like slobs not matter how stylish they otherwise appear), the "art" of cleaning and blocking hats is being lost.
0 Replies

Slomichizza

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 08:23 pm
Thank you very much for the advice.

I'm from Toms River, by the way.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 08:26 pm
Slomichizza wrote:
Thank you very much for the advice.

I'm from Toms River, by the way.

Oh!

Brielle.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 08:44 pm
i was born in east orange
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 08:47 pm
An ancestor who landed in New Jersey in 1676 once owned most of Monmouth County . . . wish we still did, i'd be rich . . .
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 08:52 pm
crap, rich wouldn't be the word...

they'd have to invent a new one.

East Orange huh?

Wha? You got a promlim widdat?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 08:06 am
My father was from Hackensack.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Warped Hat
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/15/2024 at 10:57:30