Who Served Who Didn't? (Military)

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 08:46 am
I'm curious.

Who on A2K served or is serving and who is not and never did?

I did not serve and am not currently.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 925 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 08:49 am
For a short time. Didn't like it. I was too young (16).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 08:50 am
Me. Navy, late 1962 through 1964.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 08:51 am
United States Army Medical Corps, February, 1970 through February, 1973.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 08:53 am
I didn't ! Laughing

It might be interesting to separate out those who served through the draft, as opposed to those who joined the volunteer military!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 08:58 am
I guaran-damn-tee ya, Phoenix, it made no difference to the poor sonsabitches we got from the medevac helicopters . . .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:00 am
Allowing one's self to be drafted during a war is a form of volunteerism, in my book.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:03 am
Setanta wrote:
I guaran-damn-tee ya, Phoenix, it made no difference to the poor sonsabitches we got from the medevac helicopters . . .

Oh, I agree. I know that there was a tremendouse backlash against the military during the Vietnam War. I don't remember exactly when they stopped the draft. I am curious as to how many people actually joined the military when they were no longer obliged to.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:08 am
Quote:
United States
Main articles: Conscription in the United States. The United States has employed conscription intermittently. For example, in 1863 the imposition of a draft during the Civil War touched off the New York Draft Riots. Conscription was next used after the United States entered World War I in 1917. The first peacetime conscription came with the Selective Training and Service Act of 1940. Active conscription ("the draft") ended in 1973. Currently, male U.S. citizens and many male aliens living in the U.S., if aged 18 through 25, are required to register with the Selective Service System, whose mission is "to provide manpower to the armed forces in an emergency; and to run an Alternative Service Program for men classified as conscientious objectors during a draft."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription#United_States

Found my own answer.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:14 am
I volunteered, not knowing the war in Vietnam was underway, thinking to get my service over with and thereby beat the draft. It was wholly voluntary to get sent over there at the time. Very near the time I was sent home they started sending evryone over there.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:33 am
I only know of conscription here (in wartime) for Vietnam. It's never surprised me that it was a right wing government that conscripted people too young to vote, and sent them to America's manufactured war for no other reason than to protect the alliance. When they were thrown out, the new left wing government immediately recalled the troops, and released the concientious objectors from prison, yet somehow the alliance survived.

World wars I and II were all volunteers from Australia. And they didn't have any trouble getting volunteers. In WWII Australia had one in seven of it's citizens serving in the armed forces, which was second only to New Zealand (1 in 5).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:42 am
There's good reason to believe that Gough Whitlam's government was engineered out of office by the CIA acting through John Kerr . . . whose name ought to be spelled Cur . . .
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:43 am
except that the term cur is insulting to dogs....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:44 am
Yes, and the comparison to John Kerr is also insulting to dogs . . .
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:48 am
I'll bet bears don't like him either...... who is he? Laughing
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:49 am
Setanta wrote:
There's good reason to believe that Gough Whitlam's government was engineered out of office by the CIA acting through John Kerr . . . whose name ought to be spelled Cur . . .

I don't know. I'm sure they wanted it to happen. But Gough could have called a double dissolution election before Kerr booted him. In fact, he probably should have, before the uncertainty created by the blocked budget bill took such strong hold.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:59 am
Wislo, it could be that he was blind-sided--that he didn't see it coming, and relied upon his popularity. There is no denying that his opposition was funded through a bank set up by an Australian, and funded by a previous Air America employee--a notorious CIA front operation.

Bear, the Australian government which pulled the Ozzians out of Vietnam came into office in late 1972, headed by Gough Whitlam. He had some genuine political problems, but seemed to have been confident that he could deal with them, when the Governor-General, Sir John Kerr, the representative of the Queen in Australia, dismissed him in late 1975. Rupert Murdoch, not yet an international media mogul, had already turned aginst the ALP, Whitlam's party, and was now supporting the opposition. Kerr sought advice (he had been appointed by Whitlam, but had come to despise him, claiming he was socially slighted by Whitlam, as was his wife), and was told that, yes, he could dismiss Whitlam, but that the Australians would resent it, and that he should give Whitlam a warning of the possible dismissal. He dismissed Whitlam without warning. Many Australians still resent it. Kerr was a great friend of William Colby, who later became Director, Central Intelligence, and it is alleged that it was Colby's idea to fund the opposition to Whitlam, and that Colby "worked on" Kerr to help engineer the dismissal. What cannot be denied is that a bogus bank, which never opened a single branch, funnelled money to the opposition, and that one of it's two directors was a former CIA employee.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 10:43 am
Re: Who Served Who Didn't? (Military)
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
I'm curious.

Who on A2K served or is serving and who is not and never did?

I did not serve and am not currently.

I never did become a waiter when I was in my 20s, even though I did take a course.

I did do a stint as a busboy though.

Does that count?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 10:47 am
ever play any tennis?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 10:58 am
tennis, love is when nobody scores.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Who Served Who Didn't? (Military)
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/09/2024 at 08:25:49