Researchers Warn of More Quakes in Southeast Asia

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 04:25 pm
It looks like we might soon get more tsunamis. The pressure is still there and can only be released by other earthquakes. I feel sorry for the people in that region; they don't deserve more hardship.

Researchers Warn of More Quakes in Southeast Asia

The Dec. 26 earthquake and tsunami triggered a massive research effort to better understand the geology of the region. What researchers found is daunting. The fault line which produced the tsunami, remains under extreme tension. Another severe earthquake could come at any time.
http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,392020,00.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 697 • Replies: 5
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 11:20 pm
Since geologists can predict tsunamis and earthquakes, but not when and how strong, it's almost impossible to plan for their occurence.

As with the hurricanes and the flood in New Orleans recently, many of the people left behind were unable to move to safer ground because they lacked money and any place to go. That's probably the same situation in SE Asia.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 12:41 am
What worries me the most is the understandable apathy of us giving money again. The first tsunami triggered a very generous response.
The second will not do the same. Human nature and all that.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 01:04 pm
detano, You are right; we see that happening in the US after the tsunami and floods in New Orleans. Many of the charities in our area are down on donations; there are limits on how much people can give without harming their own financial security.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 03:20 pm
cicerone, what I find ironic is the media coverage which triggered unheard of donations.
At the same time of the tsunami crisis, many more people died in Africa from AIDS or simple starvation. They were all but forgotten since they did not have a sensational or exotic event to stir our conscience.
I only donate to 'Medicins sans Frontiers'. They are helping in every hellhole of this punished world of ours.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 05:07 pm
detano, Between you and me, I only donate to Second Harvest Food Bank and Habitat for Humanities. I know for sure that these charities provide assistance to those in need without regard to race, religion, or political belief with most going to food and housing rather than enriching those in charge. My wife gives to about ten charities every year.
0 Replies