Black History Month, why I am anti.

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 02:30 pm
Can of worms here but I can take it. Actually I am against american history the way it is non-taught in our schools. I say we toss aside all the history books (and teachers) and start over actually teaching history in our history courses, especially US history including the Spanish/French/Anglos and the amerinds who greeted them on their arrival. The good stuff and the less than good stuff. I say it's time we tossed the mythology, started from scratch and take history seriously. Seriously.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,728 • Replies: 31
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 02:31 pm
The problem with history is that it is only told by the survivors, there for one sided.

( quote mister wolf )
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 02:35 pm
I agree. For years, the history courses that have been taught have been ethnocentric, and sugar coated.

BTW Dys, did you see the "60 Minutes" piece with Morgan Freeman?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 02:37 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
The problem with history is that it is only told by the survivors, there for one sided.

( quote mister wolf )

Well, of course there is that and the situation may be critical but I don't think it's hopeless. All in all I would rather see a major effort being made to portray our history in the most accurate light possible. A simple thing like removing one eyes' blinder could open up a totally new understanding of who were are and where we came from. From there we might see both eye's blinders removed (not counting on that quite yet)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 02:39 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I agree. For years, the history courses that have been taught have been ethnocentric, and sugar coated.

BTW Dys, did you see the "60 Minutes" piece with Morgan Freeman?

No Phoenix, I guess I missed that. One of the disavandages of not watching t.v. is missing some worthwhile information.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 02:40 pm
http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news/stories/1205/18freeman.html

Quote:
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 02:41 pm
You go Morgan!!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 02:44 pm
Yeah I hear that Phoenix however my point was slightly larger in scope. I would like to see a totally revamped approach to history in the US. The Spanish conquest of the southwest, the French, the Puritans, manifest destiny, the mormon theocracy. In other words, the whole ball of wax we call american history.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 02:49 pm
Dys- I definitely agree. I just thought that it was interesting, since the Freeman piece was aired just last Sunday.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 02:52 pm
More in history books than just what the Europeans wrote about.

You mean it didn't REALLY start with Christopher Columbus coming over, having some turkey and cranberry sauce with the Indians, and "discovering" America?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 03:10 pm
shewolfnm wrote:

( quote mister wolf )

Hmmm. That's pretty far out. Well put.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 03:12 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
More in history books than just what the Europeans wrote about.

You mean it didn't REALLY start with Christopher Columbus coming over, having some turkey and cranberry sauce with the Indians, and "discovering" America?

Remember when Abraham Lincoln said to Columbus, "I cannot tell a lie," and then freed the Indians from the British?

Man, I love history.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 03:28 pm
Remember when the Indians were like "How," and the Spainards were like, "cool," then killed all the Indians? Then the remaining Indians that didn't die of European flu were like, "Yo Chris...we baked you a turkey and made you some mashed potatoes."

That was awesome.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 03:38 pm
Hey like native spiritual dude, you got any peyote?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 03:40 pm
if history were told in its entirety, america wouldnt be AMERICA as people understand it.

Honestly, more people think in the terms of Slappys jokes..
Columbus came over, said Hi to the indians , they fought him for no reason and then for even stranger reasons, they died.. ?
So everyone ate turkey to end the hatered and alls well.

People couldnt handle the thought that these " white folk" were deliberatly giving the native americans diseases so that they WOULD die in mass amounts in a way to keep thier ever so pearly white hands clean of thier blood.
They were raping the women and children in an attempt to wipe out their race and as a display of power.

This is a peek into the " founding fathers of america"

no..you are right Dys, people cant swallow that.

It doesnt fit into the cookie cutter happy go lucky Puritan image people have of the Mayflower.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 03:42 pm
Gargamel wrote:
shewolfnm wrote:

( quote mister wolf )

yeah... who'dda thunk it
Mr Wolf is kinda smart..
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 03:47 pm
Even the image of slavery, people have an " oh it wasnt so bad" idea of it.

Most people dont know that blacks were locked into storage sheds.. as they died one by one... only shown the sun when someone arrived to select one for purchase.
They lived on top of thier dead friends, family, children, and other people .. waiting for purchase.

If they were not "pleasing to the eye", they were covered with black salve to hide deep holes in their skin, infections of their genitals , and mostly to make them LOOK black.

This behavior was welcomed and promoted in the christian church for years.
So much so that there were scriptures that claimed God demanded of his people to treat those stricken of color as less then. They were paying for thier ancestors sins or something totally obsecure...
It was a bible printed in 1711 where I had read that.
Funny.. slavery was at its peak then.

yet another peek into the good christian folk who started america.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 03:51 pm
Better make a foot note before this thread takes a diffrent turn.

im NOT attacking christianity..
just the image people have

so dont go there.. or I will bite you.
Laughing
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:46 pm
shewolfnm wrote:

( quote mister wolf )

Hey, that is very deep stuff! I'll have to remember that. That could explain a few things about history.....
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:53 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Gargamel wrote:
shewolfnm wrote:

( quote mister wolf )

yeah... who'dda thunk it
Mr Wolf is kinda smart..

And anybody that goes against what's been trotted out as American history is revisionist.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Black History Month, why I am anti.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 01:13:59