Tip the letter carrier?

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:20 am
I read something the other day about tipping your letter carrier at the holidays. I was always under the impression that tipping a federal employee was strictly a no-no.

I started looking around and came across this:

Quote:
In response to a letter from NALC President William H. Young, a top official of the Blockbuster, Inc. video-DVD firm has apologized for running a promotional ad that could encourage the general public to refrain from giving their letter carrier a Holiday time gratuity for a year of good service.

"Please accept our sincerest apologizes (sic) regarding the promotional advertisement on our delivery envelopes that read: Free delivery, yes. Tip the mailman, no. Receive and return your DVDs with no shipping costs."

Young demanded the apology and termination of the ad campaign in an October 31 letter to Blockbuster Chairman and CEO John Atioco. The matter was brought to Young's attention by the office of Region 15 NBA George Mignosi after a shop steward in Cranford, New Jersey Br. 754 saw the ad.

In his letter, Young noted that Blockbuster relies on the very same letter carriers to deliver their product to their customers. He added that while postal customers do not regularly tip their carrier, it has become a common practice for such expressions of appreciation to occur during the Holiday period.

"These customers do not need a suggestion from Blockbuster that they can save a few bucks by eliminating this tradition of generosity and appreciation," Young wrote.

Evangelist responded that Blockbuster appreciates all that the Postal Service, and especially letter carriers, do for their customers.

"I am personally sorry that our attempt to be amusing with our message disparaged letter carriers in any way," Evangelist wrote. "We have removed the advertisement from our envelope campaign. It will no longer be part of future printing runs. Rest assured, we will be much more mindful of how we present our relationship with letter carriers in the future."

Huh.

Who knew?

Did the rules change or is it a wink-wink-nudge-nudge thing?

What do you think about this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,569 • Replies: 26
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:43 am
From the thread title, I thought it was like cow tipping.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:57 am
My dad used to be a mailman and I think it's not that it was completely verboten but that there was a limit -- $25? I think this came up before and I got his version, let me see if I can find it...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:59 am
Here's what I was thinking of, but nothing about limits:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1071326#1071326
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 11:33 am
I don't know, but we once went to lunch with a state DOL auditor, midway through the audit. He firmly insisted on separate check. It was well under $25.00
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 11:58 am
Good to know!

Thanks for the link, soz.

I have a pretty nice mailman so maybe I should think of a little something....

I don't tip the newpaper people because they don't give me envelopes so ummmm... I don't really know how to go about it. As far as I know it is a different person all of the time.

I tip Garbage Guy. He's terrific! Mo and I chase him around the block every Tuesday and have done so for several years. He always picks up my lawn debris even when it is not officially lawn debris day.

I don't come into contact with many business people on a regular basis so I probably get off easy in the tipping department.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 12:01 pm
Cookies.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 12:05 pm
Did you check out soz's link, DrewDad?

I was thinking cookies (see below) but now I'm thinking that perhaps I should add a bit of cash.

I gave Garbage Guy cash and cookies this year because we have made piles and piles and piles of cookies in the last three days (seven different varieties). I know he has three little kids so I'm sure the cookies will be gobbled up.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 01:07 pm
My parents used to tip the mailman, when I was growing up. I never have. Mostly because I'm stingy- but also, I don't think a lot us have a 'regular' mailman anymore- I think the turnover is pretty high. So you might be tipping someone who isn't even your 'usual' mailman.

Plus, I generally don't care for tipping, period. It seems a throwback to the class system- "I am better than thou- here are a few coins, thou varlet." I would rather that we pay more for restaurants and taxis so that tips for waiters and drivers would be eliminated.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 04:29 pm
I have always tipped for a good regular service-Postman,Milkman,Dustmen,etc,at Easter and Christmas.It's something I was brought up with.These guys have a very early start in the morning,in all weathers.It's just a little appreciation.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 04:44 pm
boomerang wrote:
Did you check out soz's link, DrewDad?

No. Why waste time reading when I can start blowing hot air immediately?
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 05:11 pm
As a letter carrier for over 30 years still going strong, I can tell you that the vast majority of customers do NOT tip. Of course, maybe I'm just a lousy mailman, but I don't think so. Homeowners are more likely to tip than apartment dwellers, by a large margin. Businesses tend to be nontippers, but the few that do are likely to be the most liberal.

Officially, tipping is discouraged and a grounds for discipline if the value is over a couple of bucks, but it is a widespread practice and I have never known anyone to get in trouble for accepting gratuities. Cash is the most common gift, cookies and candy second, and prepaid gift cards are gaining in popularity. I've received them for Home Depot, Target, Starbucks, and Walmart, and several restaurants. Wine and alcohol used to be more common, but have been losing popularity. One guy in my current office was given a one week cruise for two a few years ago. Another guy received a $300 tip last week, which is EASILY the largest amount I have ever heard of from a single address. $5 and $10 are the most common amounts, with $20 not unusual. But again, most people don't tip at all.

Some carriers bid on routes based on the reputation of the neighborhood for generosity. "Poor" neighborhoods -full of nontippers- are likely to see more frequent carrier turnover. Some carriers solicit tips rather shamelessly, by sending "greeting cards" not unlike the paper delivery guys. My personal feeling is I am paid a decent salary, and customers are entitled to the same service whether I am tipped or not. When asked, I explain that tipping is neither expected nor required. When tipped, I send a thank you card.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 05:34 pm
Greyfan wrote:
As a letter carrier for over 30 years still going strong, I can tell you that the vast majority of customers do NOT tip. Of course, maybe I'm just a lousy mailman, but I don't think so. Homeowners are more likely to tip than apartment dwellers, by a large margin. Businesses tend to be nontippers, but the few that do are likely to be the most liberal.

Officially, tipping is discouraged and a grounds for discipline if the value is over a couple of bucks, but it is a widespread practice and I have never known anyone to get in trouble for accepting gratuities. Cash is the most common gift, cookies and candy second, and prepaid gift cards are gaining in popularity. I've received them for Home Depot, Target, Starbucks, and Walmart, and several restaurants. Wine and alcohol used to be more common, but have been losing popularity. One guy in my current office was given a one week cruise for two a few years ago. Another guy received a $300 tip last week, which is EASILY the largest amount I have ever heard of from a single address. $5 and $10 are the most common amounts, with $20 not unusual. But again, most people don't tip at all.

Some carriers bid on routes based on the reputation of the neighborhood for generosity. "Poor" neighborhoods -full of nontippers- are likely to see more frequent carrier turnover. Some carriers solicit tips rather shamelessly, by sending "greeting cards" not unlike the paper delivery guys. My personal feeling is I am paid a decent salary, and customers are entitled to the same service whether I am tipped or not. When asked, I explain that tipping is neither expected nor required. When tipped, I send a thank you card.

Thank you for your service.An honest answer.Happy Christmas Greyfan Cool
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 07:13 pm
In all my years as a meter reader, I've received a tip 3 times from the same family ($25.00). It was rather nice, but I felt embarrassed since I'm not used to this sort of thing.

We do, as a group, get the odd box of chocolates, liquor, cards, etc, etc, which I'm a bit more comfortable in accepting.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 07:38 pm
Here's my problem, my mailman must be a pretty senior employee because he always has the holidays off. So, I don't know if he will get the tip I leave out now. Do the substitute mailmen give the regular guys the tips they collect? I intend to tip him off-season every year, but haven't yet.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 08:40 pm
In general, the substitute carriers are honest, but I have known exceptions so there is no guarentee. We work a 5-day week, with most offices having a rotating day off, but some have a fixed one. (Its a local contract issue.) The sixth day (fixed or rotated) is carried by a regular substitute (known in postal parlance as a T6) who has five routes on his "swing". The regular carrier, to whom most tips are directed, generally gives the T6 a share of his tips or a present of some kind, even though the T6 is paid at a higher hourly rate.

I've had people ask what days I will be off, but if you don't usually see your mailman this can be a problem. I'm sure he would welcome a tip any time of the year, if you want to make sure it gets to him.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 08:44 pm
Greyfan - Thanks so much for the info!
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 08:45 pm
Happy to help.

There are so few topics about which I actually know something...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 08:32 am
I don't tip my mail carrier--the local postmaster discourages tipping. I do write frequent notes of appreciation after heavy snow or spin-off hurricane storms or a week of 90 degree temperature.

My most appreciated efforts were after 9/11, passing on any anthrax cartoons that I came across.

This year I'm tipping one paper carrier $25 and the other $15. One puts the newspaper in the cylinder every time--the other uses foul weather as an excuse to chuck the paper in the general direction of the driveway. Sometimes he scores a direct hit--sometimes the paper is passed out in the gutter and there are at least two newspapers in the woods that I can't possibly reach, (The circulation manager for that newspaper knows my voice.)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 08:44 am
Thanks Grayfan for an insiders view of postal tipping!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Tip the letter carrier?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 12:54:13