I want to help out this holiday, but where do I start?

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 10:19 am
Shortygurl and I are looking for a charity event we could help out with in the area... something like serving food at one of those dinners for the homeless or something....... But we don't know where to look to find one of these events.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 447 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 10:21 am
Check this out:

http://www.volunteermatch.org/
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 10:32 am
Do you think if I went down to a local church they may be able to help me find something in the area?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 10:33 am
Crazielady420 wrote:
Do you think if I went down to a local church they may be able to help me find something in the area?

Sure- You might also want to check out the local soup kitchens, Salvation Army, etc.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 12:27 pm
You may want to check with Rosie's Place and the Pine Street Inn.
Both are worthy causes and located nearby.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 02:24 pm
The nursery workers at Head Start are always pressed for time and energy.

You might give your local branch a call and offer to spend an afternoon rehabbing toys--scrubbing, mending, small repairs--whatever is needed.

Most places with Feel Good service opportunities are booked for the holidays, but they'll need people in January and February, too.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 09:02 am
The Salvation Army is looking for bell ringers.

As I remember the shifts are four hours long and in this weather the pavement is cold and hard--but the cause is good.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 09:36 am
I have found from past experience that those Salvation Army workers are usually pretty old dudes. If you casually walk up toward them, smile, and then....POW!... nail them square in the face, they will drop like a ton of bricks.

Then............. the kettle is yours.

I made a couple hundred bucks last year using that strategy.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 09:41 am
You might check in with your local children's hospital. A lot of kids don't get to go home for the holiday and the hospitals try to make the days special.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I want to help out this holiday, but where do I start?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.34 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 12:21:02