Agnes Fishbeck

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:45 am
I used to live in an apartment building and the apartment across the hall from me was occupied by a woman named Agnes Fishbeck. I would have never known her name except for the fact that she was the only person in the building who found it necessary to place her name on the door. A neat little bronze plaque that simply read "Agnes Fishbeck".

My younger brother always got a kick out of her name for some reason. Whenever he stop in for a visit he would make some comment about Agnes Fishbeck. He thought it was an amusing name.

I was about 22 years old at the time and Agnes was probably around 72. I'd see her around the apartment building. She seemed pleasant enough and I would always give her an obligatory nod of the head as she shuffled towards me. She would smile a crooked smile, then continue on.

One day my brother shows up and as we're having a beer in my living room he abruptly says, "Hey, you haven't seen my new sweatshirt, have you?"

He stands up and removes his coat. He is wearing a black sweatshirt with the name Agnes Fishbeck in bright orange letters emblazoned across the front.

I started laughing and said, "Why in the hell would you do something like that?"

He said, "I told you.... I like the name."

He wore that sweatshirt quite a bit over the summer and into the fall. One night he was at a keg party and he just happened to have that particular sweatshirt on. He was standing around with a couple of his buddies and a few more buddies walked up and started talking. The one guy was quite a good friend of my brother, but they hadn't seen each other for a few months. He asked my brother what he was up to and as my brother started to answer the guy's mouth dropped open and he said, "Why the hell do you have my grandmother's name on your sweatshirt!?"

My brother, as witnesses tell me, started laughing so hard he dropped to one knee.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 573 • Replies: 10
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 10:37 am
Ya lost me Gus...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 12:03 pm
I know. It's pretty deep.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 12:07 pm
I better adjust the knobs on my tin foil hat.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 12:32 pm
Was she the wife of Dr. George Fishbeck, the famous weatherman and Boy Scout leader?
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 12:35 pm
Gus has started telling "Old Timer" stories.He must be getting lonely out in the swamp.Nice story though :wink:
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 01:58 pm
It was a great ending, Gus. I was expecting something less interesting, like Agnes encountering your brother in the hall while he wore that sweatshirt.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 02:52 pm
The story lost its edge at the very end Gus...you failed to say if he fell to his left knee or his right knee...that makes all the difference in the world doncha know.
0 Replies

LoneHaranger

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 11:53 pm
Could I borrow that sweatshirt?
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:47 am
Oh, I dunno. I think Gus' story had its moments. Like this one:

Quote:
I would always give her an obligatory nod of the head as she shuffled towards me. She would smile a crooked smile, then continue on.

Scary!

But I agree with Lone Haranger. I think all of us here at A2K should get a shirt that says "Agnes Fishbeck."

Soon, people all over the world will be asking the question: "Who the hell is Agnes Fishbeck?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 11:04 am
Yeah!

Good plan.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Agnes Fishbeck
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 11:08:13