The Baby Boom Generation. Wasted?

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 07:59 pm
Johnboy was born in 1946. He is in what is called the "Baby Boom Generation" (so named for when soldiers came home after World War II and started families). A lot of us were born between, say 1945 and 1955.
And now we are getting old, starting to tap into the social security system, starting to put some strain on the health-care system and so on and so on. But that is not my point.

I have heard the question asked like this: What, if anything, did our generation accomplish that would be considered noteworthy?

I am going to leave the question poised there. I would appreciate your thoughts. Thank you. -rjb-
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,667 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 09:26 pm
Re: The Baby Boom Generation. Wasted?
realjohnboy wrote:
What, if anything, did our generation accomplish that would be considered noteworthy?

Put a man on the moon?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 10:03 pm
It is sad to think that one of the few accomplishments was to put a man on the moon. This has done nothing to further mankind. We now have epidemics that were previously unknown. We had aids. We have rampant abortions. We have a declining healthcare system. We will soon have more people on pension than we have working. We have more drug addiction that we had in the 60's and 70's. The list goes on. What did we accomplish? Good question!
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 10:31 pm
the personal computer....
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 10:35 pm
A much higher-quality pot.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 11:29 pm
Intrepid wrote:
It is sad to think that one of the few accomplishments was to put a man on the moon. This has done nothing to further mankind.

The technology spin-offs from the space program have been of tremendous benefit. Anything that could benefit from miniturization probably did. New fire-resistant materials. An entirely new medical technology. Shall I go on?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 08:30 am
The civil rights movement.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 08:56 am
technically, man on the moon is probably not the achievement of the baby boomers either, but of their parents still.

but surely achievements are great. depends if we want to be positive or negative. you can list a long list of bad things of our times -just as the good ones.

biggest achievement for me - although there is as much war and conflicts as ever, there is greater awareness than ever before in history, more seem to care and do something about it. we can dispute the results of course, but to me that is a good sign and step in the right direction at least.
another that people might not agree on - international organizations, especially UN, which is still young in the grand scheme of things - it's a baby boomer itself - but in Big History a mere toddler, are ever growing and strengthening. UN got a blow from the U.S. , but the next US administration will seek better relations with UN and strengthening of UN, i'm sure of it. UN and other international organization brought a lot of good. Most importantly for me the International Bill of Rights (completed in 1976), but also many specific programs and areas - environmental control - from Rio to Kyoto (again weakened by the US), development rights, millenium goals to erradicate hunger, poverty, inequality around the world...etc. (requires cooperation from G8 and IMF though and that will be tough to crack).
AIDS is a new plague - but we've had others in the mankind's past that we now know how to cure. Many of those cures were invented during the baby boomers heyday.

Goretex...don't forget goretex. That stuff rulez. And not only for jackets and shoes, also in general and reconstructive surgery.

internet, cellphone, GPS... life will never be the same as before... life is good.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:06 am
Disco music
Members Only jackets
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:14 am
Hardrock Cafe.
Hula Hoops.
Jerry Lee Lewis.
F.M. radio
Ben & Jerry's Ice cream.
Organic ****.
Thongs.
The 700 club.
Excuse me while I suicide.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:26 am
Parachute pants
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:33 am
Well, yeah, the baby boom generation gets wasted with some regularity.

I find myself agreeing with most of the posts so far, but the one that truly sums it up is dag's. It is the social, environmental areas that have changed for the better in so many ways. If we give up on organizations such as the UN, there will be very little hope of continued efforts toward peace and human dignity for everyone.

There are still the sweatshops, but they can no longer hide in this world of worldwide news and investigative reporting.

Admittedly, all of the above have some negative aspects; nothing that is controlled by human beings will remain pure and true to its original policy. At least the world in general is trying, trying hard to improve life world wide.

Lion tamer, your post was just scary. It's hard to believe anyone really participated in the phase.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:35 am
Well, they gave us Walter and John of Virginia. <smile>
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:36 am
Hey Letty, you're right--it doesn't get much better than that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:39 am
Every generation gets the "treatment." In the end, nothing much changes, but for material innovations. We have the same moral weakness our forefathers had, only the center of focus drifts with the current buzz. I have always been dubious about humanity's ability to adapt and survive, but never lose sight of the vast potential if we but recognize and strive toward it.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:57 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
A much higher-quality pot.

Gus is correct, of course!

Why just check this set out:

http://www.24hrgiftstore.com/28518%20pots%20and%20pans.jpg

They absolutely never had this around WW 2!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:58 am
cracking the genetic code will, in the future be realized as one of the greatest achievements of the 20th century and into the 21st.

How bout POP ROCKS
HARVEY WALLBANGERS
LOWRIDERS
F**K TRUCKS
CHOPPERS
WARM BLOODED DINOSAURS (ok I tried to slip one in there)
BLUE JELLO
SKATEBOARDS

Man we really blew didnt we.
WE dont even have a hero (Maybe John Lennon but he was a boomer cusp)

DAG-Goretex was invented by this ole dude from Dupont, he was a gen 1930's or earlier.

BALLOON MORTGAGES
INTEREST ONLY MORTGAGES
MASSIVE CREDIT DEBT
BEEMERS( this was a car they couldnt give away until , in 1971 the just doubled its price thus creating a "value" by price)

BOTTLED WATER (this is the funniest, IMHO)

NEHRU SUITS
LOVE BEADS

CRUISE MISSILES

SLEEP NUMBER BEDS

MICKEYMANSIONS
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 10:00 am
"it's getting better all the time"
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 10:34 am
Has anyone mentioned reality TV shows yet ?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 10:44 am
Not sure what this story bodes for post baby boomers- -

Rugby fan tells how he lost his tackle

A Welsh rugby fan has spoken out about how he hacked off his own testicles after his team beat England.

Geoffrey Huish, 31, took an agonising ten minutes to perform the op using a pair of blunt wire cutters, says the Sun.

Then he put his severed parts in a blue plastic bag and staggered to a social club to tell fellow Wales fans what he'd done.

Jobless Geoffrey finally collapsed with blood pouring from his groin as horrified drinkers put his testicles in a pint glass of ice.

They were handed to paramedics who rushed him to hospital - but surgeons could not sew them back.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The Baby Boom Generation. Wasted?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 04:40:36