Weird and Wonderful Christmas Stuff Near You.

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 07:55 pm
I love Christmas.....I see it as the old midwinter/midsummer festival, the ritual to end the year, the feast of misrule and fun, where we let our hair down, unbuckle our belts, say goodbye th the old year, and generally have a chance to recharge our batteries and be really silly.

So...I really enjoy the silly and fun things that happen around this time...the odd behaviour people get up to, all that.

What's happening by you?

Here's a bit of mine:

I work in a children's hospital now, and it is a hoot to see the weird and wonderful christmas things beginning to happen.

For instance, I have no idea what was on today, but suddenly there were numerous old people around, in the lifts, all clutching numerous brightly coloured, helium filled balloons.

One very tiny old lady had become trapped....lost for some time in a lift which took her here and there, but never, it seems, to the fourth floor where she wished to go.

By the time I stepped into the lift, she was clutching her balloons agitatedly, muttering words that contrasted wonderfully with one's preconceived notions of little old ladydom, and was, I swear, barely keeping her shoes on the floor against the pull of the balloons and her agitation.

Truly, when I saw her leave the lift, at last where she wanted to be, I expected her to rise into the air, like a profane and wrinkled fairy, and disappear into Sleeping Beauty's christening, to cause havoc.

Then there are the doctor clowns......who are always here, but have become even more brightly coloured and, frankly, rather manic.

I am, a little scared of clowns.....

Then, there are the new dolls.

They are HUGE! Toddler sized, with rather scarily animated porcelain faces, perfect hair, unbelievably lovely handmade clothes (from someone's treasured doll collection, they are, kindly donated).

They are perfect, immaculate, pristine.

We'll soon fix that......
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 439 • Replies: 11
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 08:06 pm
Wonderful thread. I will visit again later on.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 09:05 pm
Yes, wonderful indeed.

This is the first Christmas in what feels like forever that I have been able to sit back and enjoy the holiday.

I've been trying to discover the goofy things there are here to do.

Peacock lane?

I've always wanted to do that!

I've never even had a Christmas tree in all of my adult life! I've never really wanted one but Mo changed a lot of that for me.

Today I taught him how to throw money in the Salvation Army kettle......

It cost me quite a bit before he felt brave enough to do it on his own.....

That was kind of wonderful......

I imagine that a children's hospital is a very bittersweet place to work over the holidays. Kisses and hugs to you and all the others who do so 365 days a year.

Doctors in clown noses and kind people who know how to punch in the fourth floor all deserve out happiest wishes. Such things make me happy to know that the world still spins.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 10:16 pm
So, you getting a tree THIS year, Boomer?

What's Peacock Lane?

A tradition in my new workplace is that the paediatrician who founded it...and is currently our only male (man that is so weird for me)...dresses up and gives out the Kris Kringle presents at our Christmas breakfast.

Last year he (a hirsute and portly fella) dressed as a bride (I know this from the photos).

This year, he wants to be a drag queen.

He may end up in my extravagant, baroque, voluminous black taffeta and sequinned evening coat thingy...from a shop called Fata Morgana, and bought many years ago, and a truly over the top creation.

Thing is, he ventures into parks and restaurants in this clobber!!!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 10:20 pm
I like going to the malls during the Christmas Holiday, not so much for shopping, but rather to watch the shoppers. There is an unbelievable amount of tension in the air, lots of stressed out people walking around.

I enjoy tripping them when they walk by my bench.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 10:22 pm
We have a Christmas Tree Lane (street here)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 10:25 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I like going to the malls during the Christmas Holiday, not so much for shopping, but rather to watch the shoppers. There is an unbelievable amount of tension in the air, lots of stressed out people walking around.

I enjoy tripping them when they walk by my bench.

Well, you sure fit the "weird" criterion....
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 10:26 pm
You don't know the half of it.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 10:27 pm
I guess I didn't realize that Australians celebrated Christmas. That kind of bothers me.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 10:51 pm
Peacock lane....

I'll give this: you have to sign a contract to decorate for the holiday before they will let you buy a house on the street.

They charge money to drive down it (the money does go to charity though... welll... some of it goes to pay the resident's electric bills....)

Peacock lane.....

...hummmm

I want some LSD first.....

Who is our designated driver?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 11:29 pm
Aaaaah!

We have streets like that, but it is voluntary.

AND we have a whole town in the Adelaide hills (Lobethal) which does it!!!

I will tll you the story later of how we went to drive up there a few years ago, and ended up in a bus full of Greek nuns....

gustavratzenhofer wrote:
You don't know the half of it.

If only that were true....

gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I guess I didn't realize that Australians celebrated Christmas. That kind of bothers me.

Goody.....hmmm, how can I bother him more.....

It's midsummer here!!!!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 12:31 pm
From the morning newspapers:

Santa will arrive at the local Hook & Ladder company on the new fire engine. More than half of the $450,000 has been paid for.

For $5 you can have a picture of your pet with Santa. Benefits go to Waggin' Tails Rescue League. Dogs must be under control.

The all-tuba brass band will play at the lighting of the Peace Candle.

Tonight there will be a Vegetarian Pot Luck Supper and Cookie Exchange.

I'm a small town girl--I relish traditions, including other people's traditions.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Weird and Wonderful Christmas Stuff Near You.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 10/09/2024 at 06:28:10