Teen With Peanut Allergy Dies After Kiss

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 11:21 am
ossobuco wrote:
That is not what I meant by progressive, Bella Dea - I should have explained more.

I seem to remember that an allergen that causes anaphylaxis in a patient brings a worse reaction the next time(s) the patient is exposed to it. I think penicillin reactions have been the classic example of that.

Oh yes, that I've heard too. Which is why they tell you to carry a pen because if you have a reaction once, the next could kill you.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 09:24 pm
Follow-up to the original story.

Peanut kiss did not kill Quebec teen: coroner
Updated Fri. Mar. 3 2006 12:07 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

A Quebec teen with a severe peanut allergy did not die from kissing her boyfriend following his snack of peanut butter, a coroner has confirmed.

Michel Miron says the sudden death of fifteen-year-old Christina Desforges in November 2005 was not caused by a peanut butter sandwich.

The tragedy made headlines around the world.

Miron would not reveal the official cause of the teenager's death because he said he hadn't yet submitted his final report and is still waiting on some test results.

But Miron said he wanted to speak out before the case was mentioned in a forthcoming initiative by the Canadian Association of Food Allergies.

"The Canadian Association of Food Allergies intended to use the Desforges case to launch an education campaign," he told Saguenay's Le Quotidien newspaper.

"I had to tell them the cause of death was different than first believed."

Miron also said the teen, who lived in Saguenay, Que., did not receive a shot of adrenalin immediately after being kissed by her boyfriend.

Earlier reports suggested the shot hadn't penetrated her skin.

Miron said scientific journals had contacted him questioning the use of the adrenalin shot and how it was injected.

He said the teen did not use her syringe to give herself a shot of adrenalin because she didn't have an allergic reaction to peanut butter.

Saguenay is about 250 kilometres north of Quebec City.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 06:35 am
Reyn--

Thanks for the update.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 10:30 am
What a relief for that poor kid.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 02:28:18