Fix, six, seven, eight, what did you really hate?

DrewDad

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 09:28 am
OK. We had both of our mothers over for Thansgiving. Situation is ripe to bursting with the possibilities for a witticiscm coming out only half as well as one would hope.

All-in-all, however the event went pretty good.

Everyone else has gone home, we're having a glass of wine with my mother. Chiquita is nursing (loudly) and my mother says, "she sounds like a pig!"

This is one of those comments that nags at you. Was she reminiscing (she grew up on a farm), or was she calling my wife a sow?

I confronted her about it, and honestly believe she was simply stating a fact, but for a couple of moments I almost blew a gasket.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 590 • Replies: 15
No top replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 09:48 am
i don't want to muddle things further, but since you mentioned it, is that the kind of remark your mother makes regularly? if not, it could be a Freudian slip, or even a sign that she's getting on in years.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 09:50 am
mother in laws should all be put on an island..

only to be deported when we so choose.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 09:52 am
My mother has a chronic foot-in-mouth condition, but it is not intentional.

I'm confronting her nowadays, 'cause I'm kinda tired of it.

It was one of those WTF did that mean moments.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 09:52 am
Many people from that generation are uncomfortable with public nursing (many people are in general), could be that it was the way her discomfort expressed itself.

Personally, I think there's nothing sweeter than a hungry little nursing baby (of almost any species...)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 09:54 am
Mammalian elitist . . .
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 09:54 am
It was all resolved to mutual satisfaction, no lingering doubts.

Anyone else with a WTF moment?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 10:13 am
While playing trivial pursuit: After the answer to a question is revealed to be "The Village People," my Step-father-in-law states, "I was thinking gay...."

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 10:19 am
yitwail wrote:
i don't want to muddle things further, but since you mentioned it, is that the kind of remark your mother makes regularly? if not, it could be a Freudian slip, or even a sign that she's getting on in years.

My mother had the habit of sometimes saying very unkind things. When I confronted her with what she said, she would look really confused, and say, "I really didn't mean to be hurtful". The funny thing was, is that I now believe that she was so clueless, that she really did not realize the significance of what she was saying.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 10:21 am
Exactly.

Clueless is the word. An atypical woman, my mother rarely analyzes anthing beyond face value. I do, however.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 09:49 pm
my MIL pronounces the word "museum" as if it has only 1 "u": myoo-ZEEM.
drives us up the wall...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 09:57 pm
My mother in law says straightforward what she thinks. No editing ever enters into it. I avoid her as much as possible. She's like the others mentioned. Has no clue how f---ed up she is.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 10:01 pm
Yeah! Like I told a girl with a bad sinus thing she sounded like a hog eating shortcake. Sheesh! Anyway, she did.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 10:23 pm
Hehe, that reminds me of a friend's family gathering
we attended and my friend's mother and mother-in-law
were invited as well. Both ladies are widows, stubborn as
hell and needless to say, they're not too fond of each other.

A small group of us was sitting in the living room
with the mother-in-law and chatting away when the doorbell
rang and my friends mother came. When she entered
the room she greeted us nicely and when she approached
the mother-in-law, she hugged her and said in
a smug voice: "Well Louise, every time I see you,
you've gained an extra five pounds".

Dead silence. Louise was almost in tears, and my friend
dragged his mother in the kitchen for a heart-to-heart
talk, but unfortunately the two mothers never made up.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 11:41 pm
I am capable of the most ghastly clangers--however, if I didn't mean to insult, I always apologize. Age and effort have reduced my social gaffes.

I'm also making progress on ignoring insults, both inadvertent and deliberate.

DrewDad--

In my experience, most hungry babies, whether breast fed or bottle fed sound like cheerful piglets.

I'm not sure about the roots of the term "disgruntled", but I wouldn't be one bit surprised if the expression weren't involved with "removal of mother's milk".

Contentment is not all Norman Rockwell when you get into the audio part.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 12:12 am
Yeh, I am not sure pig is all so bad as a word. Depends on the tone...

But this reminds me of my mother in law.

Well, first she didn't come to the wedding.
I wasn't Catholic.
And, worse,
I was 37.

My biggest problem was partially being arrogant as I did feel she was lacking in this and that re both common sense and active intelligence (we know I am fairly stupid, so how bad was she, then?)

During my time with her boy, she went from middle aged arguably berserk (which her sons subscribed to more than I, they'd dealt longer) to elderly disabled; I tried not to overwhelm her in the first place, and really backed off in the second.

The hardest thing was whenever my husband and I would visit - a hundred miles away about once a month - MIL and FIL would ask only about how Jim was. Jim being the apple of their eyes, the older brother. Fortunately for all of our sanity, Jim rolled his eyes at that too, and had hell to pay when he went wrong and married an african woman. Imagine the dismay. Oh, don't get me started.

Back to Thanksgiving. Jello. With mustard.

We did bring a turkey there, and so on, as time went by as they advanced in years. I grew to love Father in Law a lot. I even grew to love Mother in law, though I jab at her here..., but that love for her is mostly piquant.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Fix, six, seven, eight, what did you really hate?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 08:18:44