Charles Darwin's Tortoise, World's Oldest Animal, Turns 175

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 07:03 pm
I feel to be 175 today. Does that count for anything?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 07:12 pm
Nah, Dag. I've been feeling that way ever since I turned 106.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 07:13 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
I feel to be 175 today. Does that count for anything?

<I better say something nice or she'll box me>

"You look very young for how you feel!"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 07:14 pm
Thursday... of course I don't have my NYer yet, but that's ok, I'm not finished the last...

Harriet's photos seem to show her as ablebodied.

I've spent some time in the last five years around friend Sue's box turtles, Spot and Sally. They both have a certain lumbersome affect, but are quicker than lickedysplit when they want to be. Sally, perforce of her cut beak - when Sue got her, someone brought her into her garden center complaining that the turtle wasn't eating. Her upper beak was vastly overgrowing the lower. So... toenail clippers to the rescue. She's eaten happily since - has a certain knowing grin while she looks at you. I project Sally's persona on to Harriet...
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 06:49 pm
How do we know she was 5 when Darwin found her? Maybe she was only 3? And I have suspicions about that exact birthday they chose for her.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 08:39 pm
I guess you'll have to commune with Darwin on that one. :wink:
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 09:14 pm
NickFun wrote:
How do we know she was 5 when Darwin found her? Maybe she was only 3? And I have suspicions about that exact birthday they chose for her.

It says so right on her birth certificate. You're not accusing the Galapagos Chamber of Commerce and the Galapagos Registry of Births of some kind of chicanery, are you, Nick? Whaddaya, some kind'a communist or something?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 09:21 pm
Many Galapagos turtles used forged birth certificates claiming their ages as older or younger to avoid military service. Those dastardly bastards!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 09:34 pm
Yes, but not during the Darwin administration.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 10:19:57