The Gunfight Over an Egg.

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 08:27 am
The most tragic food story I know occurred in 1879 in the mining town of Shakespeare, near Lordsburg in New Mexico's southwest corner. It involved 25-year-old Ross Woods, manager of the local stagecoach office.

He had a room on the second floor of the Stratford Hotel, which his mother ran. One morning, Woods came down to the dining room for breakfast.

The usual guests were on hand, plus some miners and cowboys, when a local character entered and took a table. He wore two six-guns belted at the waist, and his name was Bean Belly Smith. The nickname supposedly came from his protruding stomach.

At age 35, Smith was a small man known for his mean disposition. His father had been the Confederate governor of Virginia.

Smith sat down and rudely began demanding service. The waiter came from the kitchen and placed before each patron a steak, oatmeal and biscuits.

It was about then that young Woods descended the stairs and took an empty table.

He nodded to several men but ignored Smith. Town gossips said Woods had been seeing Smith's wife on the sly, and some kind of explosion was due.

The waiter now served Woods the standard breakfast, but with something extra. On a small plate by itself was a fried egg.

The other diners stared in astonishment. In this rough mining town, eggs were scarce and a delicacy.

"Hey!" yelled Smith angrily to the waiter. "How come he gets an egg and we don't?"

"Mrs. Woods only had one egg, and she told me to give it to Ross," came the trembling reply.

Smith then marched over and told Woods that he better not eat that egg. "You think you can have anything you want, don't you?"

Everyone in the room seemed to know Smith really meant his wife and not the egg.

Woods would not accept the public insult. Being unarmed, he quietly left the room and went upstairs. A few moments later, he returned with a .58-caliber gun and upon seeing Smith fired at him.

The bullet missed, giving Smith time to draw his own gun. In the next instant, he shot and killed young Woods, who fell to the dining-room floor. Then Smith calmly sat down and ate the fried egg.

http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/34048.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 434 • Replies: 14
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 09:53 am
I once shot a man just for snoring.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 09:54 am
I once shot a man just to see him die.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 09:57 am
You are a total badass!

Can I call you Shaft?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 11:24 am
dyslexia wrote:

was that in reno? :wink:
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 11:57 am
My mother always told me, "Be a good boy, son. Stay away from trouble. Don't you play with guns"
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 12:34 pm
djjd62 wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

was that in reno? :wink:

Sandusky, Ohio. He ridiculed my Stetson hat. Shot him dead with a 32:20 on a 44 frame.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 12:38 pm
Don't take your guns to town, son, leave your guns at home
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 12:54 pm
mama's don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 01:19 pm
Yo dissin my mama?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 01:21 pm
did i say cowboys, i meant to say lawyers Smile
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 01:36 pm
Was the egg bastid?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 01:44 pm
And does history record what happened to Smith? I have this thought in my head: never shoot the cook's son.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 02:03 pm
never eat at a place called "moms'"
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 02:10 pm
djjd62 wrote:
mama's don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys

Love that song......
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The Gunfight Over an Egg.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/08/2024 at 04:25:22