How long do yours last?

Chai

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 04:06 pm
Was just posting on Boomerangs thread about buying a sofa.

I noted I had a cat, Dr. Lulu Abromowitz, that "lasted" over 20 years.

Got me musing about other stuff I've had, or have, that, when you really think about it, have last MUCH longer than you thought they would.

I remember being a really little kid, way before kindergarten, and playing on the kitchen floor, dragging out pots and pans.

There was this dented colondar I loved to play with for some reason.

When I left home, I took "coly" with me.

I've moved around, did all the life stuff, you know, stuff that can be really rough on your average colondar.

About 2 years ago, I took "coly" out of the dishwasher, and <sniff> a hole, much bigger than its regular holes, a hole the size of Dr. Abromowitz's head, fell out!

Sadly, I reverently placed coly in the trash.

If I remember that thing from when I was 3 (and I'm sure we had it before that) I'd had it for 42 years!

My new colondar, is much sturdier. It'll go to the moon.
When I bought it, I couldn't believe how many were for sale, I mean, what are people doing to those poor colondars that they need to be replaced so often!

Colondars must be treated with respect dammit!!!!!

What possessions, not worth any great amount, not an antique, do you have that you realize you've had with you forever?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,132 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Endymion

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 06:03 am
I've still got the same wooden box that I've kept pencils in since I was a kid.
It's a very basic piece of carpentry, with dove tail joints (I think thats what they're called) - given to me by an old lady from up the street, when her husband died.
I don't think I ever knew his name, but he made the box himself and I've cherished it for some reason, ever since.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 06:20 am
We had a ceramic trivet from our first apartment together, 'cept it was ugly, all big orange flowers and weird greens and definitely not colors found in nature. It survived three moves, I finally had to smash it against the floor to get rid of the dang thing.

Oh, you meant things we like. Hmm, well, we have the laundry bag given to me when I started college in, erm, 1979. It says "Soiled shmattas" on the side (a shmatta is a rag or piece of clothing) and it shows no signs of wearing.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 06:34 am
I bought a 6 drawer dresser from Wal Mart before my grandmother died in 1997.
I believe I had it for 3 years, then when my grandmother became really ill, I had lent it to her while she wasliving with me and my mother so she could have something that would open easily to put her clothes in.
After she died , that dresser was put back into my room for storing books and magazines.

I have moved with it several times and it has been through serious hell.
That dresser was just thrown out ( finally) about 2 months ago. I was reciently using it for Beans clothes.
Funny thing, it was the cheapest .. i think 40 bucks? ... piece of furniture I have ever owned. The cheapest one AT wal mart at the time, just pressed wood particles with some sort of " wood look alike" sticker on the oustside.. and only 3 handles.. very tacky.
Yet, it never broke apart. Never started to fade, chip, the drawers stayed together..... needless to say I was and still am impressed with that dresser.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 06:44 am
7.2 seconds, give or take the odd grunt and shudder.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 06:48 am
Oh, Lord!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 06:56 am
Deferred gratification is a sign of a proper education.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 06:56 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
7.2 seconds, give or take the odd grunt and shudder.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 06:57 am
Bugger! I thought I was in the sexual gratification section that Craven keeps promising to open.

Sorry Chai.......
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 07:15 am
I have a blue wool sweater that I still wear. I bought it 40 years ago. A bit snug now though.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 07:40 am
Quote:
We had a ceramic trivet from our first apartment together, 'cept it was ugly, all big orange flowers and weird greens and definitely not colors found in nature. It survived three moves, I finally had to smash it against the floor to get rid of the dang thing.

Not Clarice Cliff I hope Shocked
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 07:45 am
I have one tooth left from my early days.

It;s kind of yellow and a bit brittle, but it still hangs in there.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 07:46 am
Oh, by the way, goodfielder, I think Jespah is smart enough that's she wouldn't discard a Clarice Cliff object.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 07:54 am
My grandfather always carried a little change purse. For many years, he would open the purse and pass out coins to all the grandkids, every time we visited...I have it now and have carried it in my purse for the last 15 years.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 07:56 am
Chai, I have a small wooden box that I bought at an estate sale from my sweet godchild who died so early in his life. It is dovetailed and is a Brooks and Co. Corona cigar box. I adore it.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 08:03 am
Clarice Cliff - http://www.claricecliff.com/picture_gallery/gallery2/conical_bowls1.jpg

Definitely nicer than the wacko trivet we had.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 10:29 am
Corneilus the monkey. I have this old stuffed monkey from when I was I can't remember how old. My husband always wants to throw it away and I won't let him. Corny is over 35 years old and very ratty and ugly as h*ll now, but I love him.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 11:56 am
My dresser was given to me by my ex-MIL in 1977. It was from her original bedroom set when she married in 1944. It's a simple chest of drawers, but it still does the job just fine.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 03:09 pm
Let's see...Two wooden cabinets from 1973 which have been everywhere with me and I hope to never part with as well as a small chest of drawers which I had as a child and now serves as a night stand.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 03:13 pm
My footstool under my computer table is my little footstool from when I was four...
and I was four a long time ago.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How long do yours last?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/13/2024 at 04:29:26