How to prepare for married life

ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 07:37 pm
And some later magazines are the same, or were, last I looked, with a how to be a sex kitten for your man tonality - same, just different instructions.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 07:44 pm
Quote:
Make him comfortable: Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or suggest he lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him. Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soft, soothing and pleasant voice. Allow him to relax and unwind.

In our present society this scenario sounds like the man is on the verge of having his throat slit. Or his weiner cut off.

Something like that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 08:21 pm
I don't know if it is a parody or not, but I saw much similar in the real life fifties, and the fifities actually went to 1964, just as the sixties went to circa 1975. I suspect, though, that the forties were in many ways more interesting, though with obvious giant pitholes of hell, not at all to make light.

People like Gloria Steinem, who I presume is still mocked today, made a giant difference for a lot of women in the US. I can't remember if she had a column in Glamour or Mademoiselle (sp?), Glamour I think... and that little column was part of my waking up. I don't remember the columns as strident at all, and in fact I might look at them now and think, lame, but she walked a lot of people out of the views shown in the Home Ec piece, whether it is or is not a parody.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 08:25 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Quote:
Make him comfortable: Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or suggest he lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him. Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soft, soothing and pleasant voice. Allow him to relax and unwind.

In our present society this scenario sounds like the man is on the verge of having his throat slit. Or his weiner cut off.

Something like that.

In our present society this scenario comes with or without a happy ending.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:06 pm
Re: How to prepare for married life
Lord Ellpus wrote:
The following is from a 1950's Home Economics textbook intended for High School girls, teaching how to prepare for married life.

Have dinner ready: Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal - on time. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him, and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospects of a good meal are part of the warm welcome needed...........

The content of this textbook doesn't surprise me one bit. It was a whole different world for women back in the 1950s, as it was in previous decades.

If you looked at how women were portrayed in various media advertising (especially in North America), it pretty much mirrors the same line of thinking.

It seems to me (I could be wrong on this) that women took a step backward after World War 2. After all, they were very active in the workforce while the soldiers were overseas. Later, it seemed frowned upon for one's wife to have her own job. She was expected to be at home looking after the household and kids.

Nowadays, the pendulum has gone very much the other way. Men are frequently portrayed as the slightly idiotic sex and women are expected to be out on the job. Lots of pressures at home and at work.

More women are showing medical symptoms that mostly men would have previously, like work-related stress, heart attacks, etc.

I guess that's progress for you.....
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:13 pm
I don't know how my future sugar-momma is going to have time to clean the house, make dinner, and do laundry when she's out working while I'm getting drunk in my man-town basement playing video games.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 01:24 am
Channel 4 (UK) ran a "reality" documentary series a couple of years ago, letting 30 or so kids "live" the life of a 1950's boarding school pupil for four weeks.

Uniforms were worn....no mobile phones...girls taught cooking and needlework...boys built brick walls and serviced cars etc etc.

The results were amazing and really highlighted the difference between children past and present.

A quote from one of the "pupils", when asked what she thought of the whole thing.....

Q. What did you get out of going back in time last summer?

A. "Well, what can I say? It was an experience I shall never forget.

When I first walked into King's I thought to myself: 'What have I let myself in for?' It all seemed too surreal, I felt like I was in the twilight zone. I shall never ever forget the people who made it the most amazing summer of my life.

The one thing I could not stand about King's was the uniform, Could it have been any thicker? I think not! I'll always remember the 'late night' knitting sessions with Tarot, possibly one of the best friends I have made. I've made firm friends who I will always stay in contact with.

After coming out of King's I feel so much stronger. King's has taught me to take whatever life throws at you (sorry about the clich驮

I have one question to all the students: would anyone like to go back and do it all over again? I certainly would! "

http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/T/teachem/index.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 01:40 am
In the early 60's, needle work and cooking was still taugh on (some) German 'gymnsiums' (?grammar school/high school).

On the other hand, grandmother was taught on a (private, run by nuns) grammar school at 1912 Montessori paedagogics, genetics, as well.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 02:06 am
Ah, sounds like a re-run of my Donna Reed fantasy....them were the days.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 04:08 am
And something is happening here

And you don't know what it is

Do you

Meeester Jooooooones?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 06:43 am
Women's sufferage was...suffering. Now we get to hold down a full time job, take care of our hubby and kids AND keep house.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 06:56 am
duplicate post
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 06:56 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Women's sufferage was...suffering. Now we get to hold down a full time job, take care of our hubby and kids AND keep house.

Yes, having it all can be too much. I think the biggest difference is today we have choices. Example: I don't want children, it was not such an easy option for my mother. After my brother was born she wanted to wait to have another child and went to her doctor for a diaphram. The doctor told her she would have to come back with her husband. Husbands had to co-sign in order for a wife to get birth control. The year was 1960. We've come a long way baby.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 08:19 am
I'm wearing a white lace apron, a pearl necklace, and a pair of black patent leather stilettos.

Oh, sorry. Wrong thread.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 05:19 am
Synonymph wrote:
I'm wearing a white lace apron, a pearl necklace, and a pair of black patent leather stilettos.

Oh, sorry. Wrong thread.

No, it's not, Syn.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 05:25 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
In the early 60's, needle work and cooking was still taugh on (some) German 'gymnsiums' (?grammar school/high school).

i learned it in the eighties. but, since under communism we were all equal, boys learnt it too. and girls learnt also woodworking, metal working, some basic automechanic stuff. was fun. fun fun fun. (until i broke a window with a sledgehammer, but that's another story).
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 08:44 am
I had to take both Cooking and Sewing in junior high (7-8th grades) in the '60s. I wanted to take Wood Shop, but only boys were allowed. Girls weren't allowed in Metal Shop or Auto Mechanics either.

It was still like in the schools here in the '70s, too. Not sure exactly when it changed.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 08:46 am
As of mid-70's, it had changed in my neck of the woods. (Minneapolis.) I loved "Hammer Hall". Have a picture of me somewhere as a kindergartener with safety glasses on, absorbed in making -- something. A birdhouse, maybe?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 08:55 am
in school in the early 80's, i took home economics.
it was alot of basic house work concepts.. how to operate a stove, how to knit holes in clothes,how to draw up a budget.. but also a bit of basic ( at the time) computer knowledge, very basic car tasks, like changing the tires, how to check your oil, also how to sort though businesses - land scapers, roofers etc- and how to take advantage of the BBB.

It was like the class was teaching us girls how to be UBER-housewives.. Rolling Eyes hehe
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 09:04 am
Ever seen the movie Mona Lisa Smile??? Good movie... reminds me alot of this thread... but there was a part where the were in home economics and the teacher gave them their test.... gotta watch it, not gonna tell ya
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/17/2024 at 06:35:48