What is life like while you're getting your P.H.D.?

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 09:29 pm
I have some questions for you people who have gotten your P.H.D., or know someone who has.

Can you get a P.H.D. going to school part-time? Is that a good way to do it? How long would it take if you did it that way? Do you need to have a Master's Degree first? Can you work while doing it, or is it difficult enough that you'd have to devote all your time to it? Are you just doomed to being poor while you do it, or can one get financial aid and/or grants?

I don't think I have the ambition to do something like this, but I wonder about it, and I thought that at least if I ask the questions, others might benefit from my curiosity and your knowledge.

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 949 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 09:41 pm
I am speaking for my husband (Biology/Ecology) - it can be done part-time or in his case, full time school and full time job. Most Phds seem to end up teaching in universities, but those positions are few and very competitive. You can get financial aid, but I don't know about grants - it might depend on your field of study.

I have meet a number of cab drivers with Phd.s, I don't think it is a great career booster.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 10:12 pm
It used to be great here - lasted forever, you could tutor and stuff while you did it...

here, now, you have to do it pretty fast. You can do it part time.

here, you have to have a good masters, or equivalent.

It is essential for academe, and helpful in some professions.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 10:13 pm
You should look at the field your interested in, and determine if a Ph.D. is necessary. Sometimes it's worth it, other times not.

Necessity of a Masters depends on the Ph.D. program. Some require it, others don't. Some allow you to get it along the way.

Basically a lot depends on the program. Some programs are going to require enough work that having an outside job is not possible. Lots of times there will be interships or externships that will either count towards tuition credits, be paid positions, or both.

Financial aid is possible, but most of the folks in my wife's program financed it through loans.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 10:17 pm
Went and put cookies in the oven after that post and asked T what I should add:

"Ask which he is: masochistic or crazy." Wink
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 11:43 pm
I feel a little weird having become DrewDad's identical twin....

At least it appears we bounce to the rhythm of a different drum....
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 08:04 am
A masters can be fun if you want to just learn a lot and **** off a lot at the same time. I found a four year masters program with full tuition plus a teaching stipend. I still have to take out some loans but it's relatively minimal.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 08:21 am
There are a number of schools that offer a PhD without a masters. You can go part time since many of advanced courses arent offered every semester anyway.
What area ya looking at?
A PhD is just a sloggin "see if you can gut it out" degree. Its more a challenge to your life than an advance in an intellectual plane. Ive had many students wisely choose to finish their PhD as an MS thesis and get into the market where they will , in the right circumstances , wind up farther ahead in their careers than if they waited to work on a terminal degree.

If you wanna teach (and I have no idea why anyone would want to do this ) then you will need a PhD as a minimal entrance (unless you have a MAster of Applied SCience or MFA which are both terminal degrees in specific areas)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 08:31 am
I do think it depends on what field you're looking at.

I met E.G. just as he'd finished his master's and was starting his Ph.D work. The entire time was torture, with the last year before actually getting his Ph.D the worst year of his or by extension (since I had to live with him) my life, pretty much. The dude was going cuckoo.

It was definitely something to be endured rather than enjoyed per se -- not just the work itself but the politics, being his advisor's boy (having to do grunt work, meet deadlines, etc.) -- but the day he actually got his Ph.D and moved on was a good one. And he's diggin' being a professor, generally very happy that he stuck with it and didn't bail/ go into the industry as most of the people he started out with did.

That said, I also know someone who has a Ph.D, somehow, who must have called it in -- she's one of the stupidest people I know. It really depends on the field and the institution.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 08:35 am
Oh and again depending on the field, one can often get fellowships (scholarships) and be paid for "work" that is part of getting the Ph.D, like being a TA. E.G. got his education free through various fellowships and such, but there was no way he could have worked another job at the same time -- he spent 70+ hours a week at the "job" of being a Ph.D student, as it was.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 08:45 am
eh, it can be done. if you have some discipline and are willing to write on the evenings and weekends and sacrifice a few years of life that way.
i don't, so i had to get myself sent to vienna for half a year, to get that sucker done once and for all. tried working full time and writing before, didn't go exactly well...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 08:47 am
Well, I was thinking of becoming an English professor at the end of it, but this is just a pipe dream. After reading the responses in this thread, I just don't think I'd have the required fortitude and dedication.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:09 am
if i didn't want to teach at a university level (of which i am not convinced, though i like it as a side thing) - i would not do it again. for all the rest of the things i do and want to do, i don't need it.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:21 am
dagmaraka wrote:
...for all the rest of the things i do and want to do...

Do tell....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 09:23 am
Ooh, English is one of the worst, Ph.D-wise. That's specifically why I switched over to deaf education after getting my bachelor's in English, is that the job market for those with advanced degrees in English was so abysmal. It's a fun degree to get (IMO), but pretty much useless once you have it.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:16 am
How about psychology then?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:17 am
Hehehe...I'm such a dreamer.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:46 am
so what was your undergrad degree in?
specialty?
faculty connections?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 11:24 am
With apologies to Henry David Thoreau,
"Beware of any enterprise that requires a PhD before you can make a contribution"

degree attainment has almost an inverse relationship with wealth.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 11:26 am
It's damned hard work but worth the struggle and sacrifice at the end and... oh wait a minute... I thought you said GED..... never mind.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What is life like while you're getting your P.H.D.?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 03:42:31