The Woody Strode thread

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 08:47 pm
I was talking to a friend the other day about Westerns. I asked him if he would consider "The Unforgiven" to be in the top ten of all time greatest westerns and he scoffed and said, "Not even in the top fifty"

I then asked him what he considered to be the greatest western ever made and he said, "Shane"

I told him I've never seen it and he started berating me and telling me that I must see it. (I really have no desire to do so)

But then I mentioned "Once Upon a Time in the West" and he said, "Ah, yes... Charles Bronson and Jimmy Stewart"

"No", I said, "Not Jimmy Stewart, but Henry Fonda and Charles Bronson"

But he insisted that Jimmy Stewart was in the movie and wanted to make a wager. I suggested a thousand dollars but he decided five dollars would be a more prudent amount, even though he was absolutely convinced he was correct.

Well, I just did the research and found out that I was correct. I pulled up the cast from "Once Upon a Time in the West" and found that it was indeed Bronson and Fonda. Also Jason Robards and others.

Then I did a search for Jimmy Stewart and the only movie that he ever did that would have an even remotely similiar title was, "How the West was Won" I continued digging around the Stewart movies and looked at the cast from "The Man who shot Libery Valance" I noticed the name Woody Strode. I rubbed my chin thoughtfully and said aloud, "Hmmmm, didn't I see that name on the cast of "Once upon a Time in the West?"

I quickly scurried back to that site and found out that I was correct. "Who the hell is Woody Strode?", I mused.

I did a Google image search.

Here he is.....

http://website.lineone.net/~braithwaitej/mainsite/overview/actors/strode.jpg

So, this will be a place where readers can share their Woody Strode stories.

A place for friends to gather round, pull up a chair, and discuss the acting of Woody Strode.

Go ahead and start in, someone. I'm gonna go grab a cup of cider.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 675 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Stray Cat

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 08:51 pm
Does he ever have a problem with "morning wood?"

I'm just askin. I'm just wondering if anybody helps him out with that.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 08:58 pm
Woody Strode stole my girlfriend at a party in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, back in 1992. I'd kill that bastard if he weren't already dead.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 09:01 pm
Loved him in Androcles and the Lion.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 09:07 pm
Woody Strode served with my uncle Honcho in the 82nd Airborne . Honcho always said he had the softest lips of any soldier he ever met.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 09:12 pm
His face is very familiar and I've heard his name before and even seen him in the movies, but I must admitÂ…I never knew his name.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 09:13 pm
Maybe it's his name but...why do I keep thinking of the number...69?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 09:20 pm
I didn't recognize the name, and the face was only vaguely familar, but when I went to IMDB and saw some of the movies he was in, I was impressed.

For example:
  • The Ten Commandments (1956) - with Charlton Heston, Yul Brynner, Edward G. Robinson, etc
  • Spartacus (1960) - with Kirk Douglas, Lawrence Olivier, Charles Laughton, etc
  • The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962) - with John Wayne, James Steward, Vera Miles, etc

These films must have been good breaks for him to get parts with such acting heavyweights as the above.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 09:24 pm
ok, Gus. I'm ready to discuss this topic seriously. Ahem!

Now, how do you think this Woody person would feel about some doggie-style sex?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 06:15 am
I might just have to sit in for Woody on that request, Stray Cat. He's...he's....he's....gone fishin! Yeah, that's it.....he's gone fishin!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 06:32 am
He was a good character actor of the 50s or 60s and very decent as John Wayne's sidekick, Pompey, in "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance," which was a classic. Lee Marvin was really menacing in that movie. As I recall, Strode's appearance in "Once Upon a Time in the West," another classic, was only a walk-on.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 06:51 am
You are correct. Charles Bronson shot him very early in the movie.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 09:52 am
Woody Strode was a source of great disappointment for me, when he didn't appear in "Lonesome Dove" and a couple of other things.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 09:33 pm
I heard he was a great source of disappointment to you when you got him drunk -- after a crazy night in Picadilly Circus.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The Woody Strode thread
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 02:33:31