Hey everyone what is an Addicted personality?

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 10:25 pm
What is you definition of one? It doesn't have to include drugs and gambling, it could be other things or people, etc.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 691 • Replies: 11
No top replies

englishmajor

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 01:12 am
somebody who can't say no to something and OD's on everything. That's my take, anyway.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 07:13 am
englishmajor is right. Drugs, alcohol and compulsive gambling are only the most obvious examples of compulsion. But the person who can't stay away from chats like this is addicted as well. Often, when a drug addict or alcoholic manages to conquer his/her particular addiction, they will find a substitute, e.g. playing endless games of solitaire, compulsively watching trash on TV etc. etc. They have personalities which compel them to do something to excess.
0 Replies

lindsay23b4

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 09:43 am
Thanks
It was an argument with my husband...he said everyone is addicted. Of course, he is defensive since he does the online games, poker ect. at least 5 hours per night, and all weekend...as much as he can get away with it. HIs thing is...if I truly have an addicted personality, then how can I drink in moderation, especially since my father was an alcoholic...I didn't have an answer for that...Do you???
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 09:53 am
It's "addictive personality," and it doesn't mean you are addicted to everything, it means that you are especially likely to get addicted to things for various reasons. I'm no psychologist, but I definitely have an addictive personality.
0 Replies

lindsay23b4

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 03:25 pm
His answer is
Well, you used to run 10 miles a day, 4 times per week a few years back, so does that mean you have an addicted personality. I didn't have an answer. I was curious of the definition after that response.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 05:05 pm
Kicky has it right. It is "addictive" and it means more likely to become addicted. Addictive personalities tend to not be able stop doing things even if they are bad for them.

It isn't an addiction just because you like doing it or do it a lot. It usually has to rise to the level of consuming you over other things in your life. If it affects relationships, work and your life then it is probably an addiction.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 07:09 pm
I think many of us edge onto addictive behavior. Am not sure where the line is, as "is bad for you" can be a matter of opinion, re some geniuses. To get intensely involved in a project can be a good thing for someone like me with a wide and sometimes shallow field of interests.

Something like jogging - interesting subject. Certainly there is a compulsive thing that starts in whenever people get into routine exercise - an activity that generally benefits by some fair level of routine. It even worked with sluggo (slugga?) me.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 09:45 pm
A true addiction is something which interferes with other important aspects of your life but you can't help doing it anyway. A person spending a lot of time on the computer is not necessarily addicted unless he/she is taking the time away from other, possibly more important, activities. If jogging is part of your normal schedule it's not an addiction. Unless it keeps you from getting to work on time or keeping some other promise you've made. Having an alcoholic drink every day at a given time is not an addiction. Unless you insist on finishing whatever is in the bottle. An ingrained habit is not necessarily an addiction. The touchstone is, how does it affect the rest of your life.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 10:05 pm
Merry is right; it is how it affects other aspects of your life. If you can say "i'm going to spend 2 hours on the computer' and stick with it, no problem. If, however, anything interfers with other responsibilities/relationships then you have a problem. Balance is the key, I guess. Try to do a variety of things every day. I live in a beautiful place where boating, sea kayaking and hiking with my dogs can be done daily, but when it's too cold i like to cook, read, type letters to friends, do stuff on computer, etc. (Not housework, tho!) Most people have a lot of talents they never discover. I discovered I like to watercolour (and am not too bad either) if you think you're obsessing on something, then you probably are. Time to do something else for awhile! Discover your hidden talents.....
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 10:25 pm
Quote:
Often, when a drug addict or alcoholic manages to conquer his/her particular addiction, they will find a substitute, e.g. playing endless games of solitaire, compulsively watching trash on TV etc. etc. They have personalities which compel them to do something to excess.

I've seen this in some people that I know, that have had an addiction. They usually wean themselves off one to another addiction. Where it might have been drugs, now they smoke excessively and drink major amounts of coffee...its to replace the fix.
0 Replies

lindsay23b4

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 11:59 am
Yea
I heard that from a pyschologist friend of mine. I have never forgotten it. It's so true. That to me, is the definition of that type of person. It's so simple. When they go from one thing to another to anther, and it's harmful to their health in excess or to their family/work situation. In other words, taking away from real life. IE Internet, etc.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Hey everyone what is an Addicted personality?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 07:55:40