Will Japanese replace English as world's first language?

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 11:02 pm
Since someone said Chinese is impossible to replace world than English to be first language, how about Japanese? There are many Japanese trends happening in US. I am expecting Japanese to turn off English to be world's favorite.

If it happens this: half people of US speak Japanese, and another half speak English, then it's likely that the world people start to learn Japanese rather than English.

So in how many decade do you think Japanese will be the world's favor language kicking out English?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,264 • Replies: 12
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 07:02 am
Never. Well not at least in my life time. I reckon spanish has the best chance of toppling English on the criteria of:

1. Number of speakers
2. Geographic spread of speakers
3. Percentage of speakers in world's leading economy.

Konichiwa mama-san
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 12:51 am
no! Japanese will not become an international langague for a very long time.
0 Replies

lemonegg2001

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 09:36 am
Not a chance
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 09:43 am
I hope not, I have tried to teach myself Japanese and after 6 years of being on page 34 of a 'Learn JApanese in 3 months' course, I am a complete failure.
0 Replies

raymond chan

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 12:31 pm
Never!
Chinese would not let Japanese to be the first language!

Trust me ,NEVER!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 03:51 pm
And of course, China runs the world.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 12:54 am
hingehead wrote:

Soon, very very soon - Chinese (language) will run the world. China will be standing by smiling proudly.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 10:49 am
I thought China (language) already runs the world. Mandarin is the only language in the world that has 1 billion+ speakers in the world, doesn't it?
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 11:56 am
Well I don't know what to tell you boys and girls, but my grandson, who lives in Colorado, is into his third year of Japanese language studies. It might have something to do with computers?????

And living on the South Pacific Rim that on most job applications it usually states that Japanese as a first or second language is a big plus.

But hopefully the language of love will win out in the end.

s
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 04:51 pm
AbleIIKnow_wong wrote:
I thought China (language) already runs the world. Mandarin is the only language in the world that has 1 billion+ speakers in the world, doesn't it?

Definitely has the most speakers but doesn't have the geographic spread of English, Spanish, French or Portugese...
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 04:53 pm
pragmatic wrote:
hingehead wrote:

Soon, very very soon - Chinese (language) will run the world. China will be standing by smiling proudly.

How wonderful for China. Whoopee.

How exactly does a country smile?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 05:07 pm
Oh, I forgot to mention Praggers: you were very strident about Australia interfering in Singaporean affairs recently - but apparently you are completely in favour of Chinese imperialism and world domination?

Put your analyst on danger money, baby.
0 Replies