The Western influnce that causes the negative trend in Taiwa

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 06:53 pm
I also posted here here: http://forum.pchome.com.tw/forum/post.php?mode=item&type=1&board=english&subject=2828&read=1

I will illustrate it in a description, to let you guys get a sense of what is going on--which is bad--in Taiwan.
Taiwan is a little island besides East coast of China. The citizens of Taiwan are getting more informations (relative to entertainment the most) from Western world. Although Mandarin and Taiwanese dialogue are two main spoken languages in Taiwan, people are thriving to study English. Now, there are some cultural discriminations going on in Taiwan: some folks who are obsessed in Western culture kind of despise native people of Taiwan that don't seem to have good or fashion state of beings on their faces. Because those native Taiwanese usually dress vulgar their appearance with their strong accent of Taiwanese speaking, some people--most are Western-Wannabes--strongly hate them without any proper reason. This is happening in Taiwan for a few years, and still not resolved. This also led to a conception that many people of Taiwan think only those oversea students are higher-class than their native ones. They love those students who come back from US to Taiwan for some vacations or whatever reasons, and they call them "ABC." They misunderstood the concept of ABC and potential meaning of ABC. ABC, as we all know, means American Born Chinese. If you are born in Taiwan and just study aboard in US, you shouldn't be considered an ABC despite you are legally an US citizen. Sadly, people of Taiwan never realize this strong word and keep low-judging their own people. I feel bad because they keep offending their own culture, which is evolved by a group of Taiwanese--Min Nan people. There is also a term specifically offending those MinNan people: Taiker. Just ask any of your Taiwanese friends, they might realize those words if they have a history of living in Taiwan. Why they feel native Taiwanese Min Nan people are lousy, because there are so many multicultural contradictions ocurring in Taiwan. So many outer cultures conveyed to Taiwan: Japan, Korea, US and some of Europe. Now people of Taiwan tend to reject their people but some people who have dispositions of foreign countries or those US studying students.

Being an MinNan person living in US, I feel ashamed to see this. So what if being a Taiker? So what if being a oversea student? We are all still human. I think some people who are affordable to travel to Asia in US should go to Taiwan, and pass down to them that he/she loves to dress Taiwanese-style clothes, and speak Taiwanese native language.
另外我也貼在一些美國網站上與其他人討論,你們可參考他們對於這趨勢的想法:
http://forums.mercurynews.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=kr-warriors&msg=2430.1&ctx=0

http://forum.gamers.com/viewtopic.php?t=4491

http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13951
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 867 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 01:34 am
I sympathise with you, ps2....because the exact same thing happened here about 2000 years ago.

There we were, covering our faces in blue dye, when along came those bloody Romans and everything changed.

All of a sudden, the wealthy among us started wearing sandals instead of the traditional bearskin booties, and took to eating salad, AND OLIVES!

Crapping in the woods was no longer good enough for them....oh no....they had "internal plumbing" and "central heating". If you were not wearing a Toga, you were SOOO Saxon.

So, I fully understand where you are coming from.

Now.....I must dash....Tempus Fugit, and all that.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 02:49 am
sic transit gloria mundi

:wink:
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 02:47 pm
goodfielder wrote:
sic transit gloria mundi

:wink:

Gloria Mundi is sick in transit? I do hope she is well soon. I like Gloria.
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 09:05 pm
Hi ps2huang
You are right in one sense. There is and I think for a long time now has been a group in Taiwan that confuses the golden arches with the pearly gates, or anything American with the promised land. I don't know I could agree it's a trend, that may be debatable. But what is missing is the other side of the coin.

I am sure you are aware that since President Chen's election victory, that there has been a greater divide between the mainlanders (waishengren) and Taiwanese (benshengren) . President Chen used the theme of identifying with Taiwanese and the DDP as loyalty to Taiwan, which outraged many older groups that fought for the KMT years ago.

The trend has been to see programs like "I love Hakka" on the radio twenty times a day (payed by the government) . To see the opposition politicians forced to learn Taiwanese else be accused of being a China puppet, a label they are now trying to apply to major Ma.

The snobbery you talk about at worst can be attibuted to a defense mechanisim triggered by all the above hostility aimed at a certain group.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 06:59 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Gloria Mundi

Goldie Hawn played "Gloria Mundy" in Foul Play (1978)...
0 Replies