Am i being selfish?

zippy57

Reply Thu 9 May, 2024 11:29 am
I've been friends with a person i met online for 10 years. She's been diagnosed with body dysmorphic disorder, just like me.
We've always been really close and, up until a month ago, text each other every day.
I've been very loyal as a friend and would do anything for her.
A few years ago, she mentioned she was considering having Electro convulsive therapy. Worried about her welfare, I tried to talk her out of it, suggesting that the things that are making her overly-stressed will still be there after therapy.
I was deeply concerned about the side effects of such treatment.
Anyway, a month ago, she sent me a text saying she was feeling really poorly.
I sent her some flowers and a card, hoping it would make her feel a bit better.
I heard nothing from her for a couple of days and wondered if she was ok. I decided to text her Mum to see if she was coping ok , only for her mum to tell me she'd decided to have ECG after all.
Her mum was worried, I was too.
Next day, I received a text from my friend saying that she thinks we shouldn't talk for a few months whilst she has treatment.
This left me feeling confused and hurt, that she has decided to go no contact without discussing anything with me first. She ignored my reply to her text.
The other day, i text her mum to see if she was ok, only to now have my text ignored by her mum.
I cried for two days when she decided we shouldn't talk for a while. It was completely unexpected, totally out of the blue. I felt shocked.
I kinda feel that my own issues, my loneliness etc has not been taken into consideration,and the fact, another friend did the same thing to me only a couple of weeks before. . She knows that my own family abandoned me when i was young, and I didn't think, her, of all people, would do the same thing.
Surely, she would have known her decision to do the same thing as my family would hurt?
I always thought we'd be there for each other, no matter what.
Even at my worst times, when i was struggling most, I was there for her.
I would never have treated her this way, but I can't expect everyone to be like me..right?
The confusion has been keeping me awake at night.
I would have sacrificed my own life to save this woman.
I've left her everything in my will.
She meant everything to me, but now I feel I'm being treated like I don't even exist.
Do I have a right to feel hurt, or am I being selfish for expecting, at least, an explanation of some kind?
Any replies greatly appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 118 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 9 May, 2024 05:00 pm
@zippy57,
You got your explanation already, that she was going to undergo a medical procedure.

Like it or not, such things require quiet and recovery afterwards. So, it's entirely reasonable for her to want to stay off the text machine. Which she told you she was going to do. But you ignored that, apparently.

Is it worrisome behavior? Possibly.

But I think she's just recovering and doesn't want to do anything but that right now.

Be a good friend and let her do just that.
zippy57

Reply Fri 10 May, 2024 05:23 am
@jespah,
Thank you for your reply.
I didn't get an explanation from her. It was no contact.
I had to text her mum to find out what was going on.
It was just a text from my friend saying we should not speak for a while. There was no discussion about anything between us. It just happened, totally out of the blue.
This is what bother sme the most.
All i wanted was a proper discussion between us. Is that too much to ask for?
Would you be OK with being best friends with someone, speaking to them every day for 10 years plus, thinking of them as someone closer than your own family,
only for one day to be totally ignored? That wouldn't bother you?
You have any close friends, a partner?
Friends you always felt you could discuss anything with?
Would you prefer a "no contact,"with your closest friend to be discussed between you both, so it is not unexpected, or be perfectly fine with them, all of a sudden, to just act like you don't exist?
If this happened to you, during your darkest days, you'd just shrug your shoulders and say "oh right, yeah sure, speak to you whenever?"
That wouldn't put doubts in your own mind as to how important your own feelings might be to her? You wouldn't be hurt by that approach?
the thing is....
It's not just my friend who is poorly, it is both of us. We both struggle with things immensely, that's why we became good friends, because of our understanding of each other's complex problems. Her ignoring me feels like, " I know you're troubled, I know you're vulnerable, I know you're at risk, but I don't care."
You're saying that her behaviour is possibly worrying?
So I do have cause for concern? In that we may no longer be friends after all, and to have her no longer as a friend, i should be a good friend and just live with that?
Am i being a good friend, asking her mum how she is?
To be ignored by her mum, even though i'm not choosing to contact my friend directly, (because i'm doing what she asked me to do, not contact her) is perfectly fine...or not?
Both me and my friend know everything about each other. This is why this is so confusing. We've always discussed everything.
To be treated like nobody hurts, to be ignored hurts,regardless of the situation.
Surely you agree with that?
This friend knows how ill I am and how much I struggle, also. You're suggesting I should just think of her? Yes, sure? What would be your advice be to her in this situation? Should she have taken into consideration about how ill I am also, how this would affect me, or is it all one-sided, and the only person that should care, or be a good friend ...is me?
Taking into account how much she knows about my own illness, my own situation and how isolated I am as a person, in your view, what would be your advice to her about how she should treat me?
I have always been a good friend in more ways than you know. Friendship works both ways, right? Surely, good friends take into consideration how both friends are affected by any decisions we choose to make, and we should consider approaching any potential, hurtful situations with caution? Especially when we know our own actions could damage an already emotionally damaged person even more?
I'd be interested to know your thoughts on other things I've mentioned here. Trying to make sense of all this is difficult, hence me asking for advice.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Am i being selfish?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/20/2024 at 03:02:04