Is this a reflection of him or me?

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2024 05:52 pm
I was riding in the car with my dad, mom, and uncle rich, and I decided to tell him I love him because he is my family. I said: I love you, uncle rich. He said back, flatly: I love me too. No one said anything the whole ride after. My question is, does his reaction tell me he is dysfunctional? Is it a reflection of his beliefs and attitude? Am I to blame?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 227 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2024 06:19 pm
@Whatislifespurpose,
Quote:
does his reaction tell me he is dysfunctional?
assuming you've known him your entire life, you should be able to answer that one...
Quote:
Is it a reflection of his beliefs and attitude?
impossible for someone who doesn't know him to answer...
Quote:
Am I to blame?
no...
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2024 09:12 pm
@Whatislifespurpose,
It's a little weird, but then, we don't know your family. Maybe public expressions of love/affection are not the norm. Maybe it made everyone feel a little uncomfortable. Maybe it made him uncomfortable. He may have had a different reaction had you said it to him privately. The fact that nobody said anything leads me to this, but you haven't indicated whether it was unusual or not, for your family.

So, no, it doesn't tell me he's dysfunctional in this one event and context.

And why would there be any blame attached (your last question)?
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2024 08:13 am
@Whatislifespurpose,
From an uncle's point of view the first thought that comes to mind is he was using humor. Perhaps in his mind he thought kids like funny people.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2024 04:12 pm
@Whatislifespurpose,
Whatislifespurpose wrote:

My question is, does his reaction tell me he is dysfunctional?

Without any further context, I suspect you might lack a sense of humor. That is reply (at least at face value) was meant to be a dry, cheeky one. Or he's a psychopath. You are asking a random group of strangers who have zero idea who you, you uncle, or your family are and where your respective relationships lay.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2024 08:01 am
@Whatislifespurpose,
You have to go around trying to figure out who's dysfunctional and who isn't? Try taking people at face value. Trying to see more than who is there might in itself be dysfunctional.

You did put uncle on the spot and in front of witnesses.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is this a reflection of him or me?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/13/2024 at 11:19:07