Terry Pratchett Quote

Seizan

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2023 07:29 pm
In one of Sir Terry's many books, Sam Vimes says something similar to this:

"We are men of peace, and when we come across a violent man, we try to make him peaceful as quickly as possible."

It isn't exact, but a close paraphrase. I don't recall which book it came from (I heard it on one of the audio books narrated by Nigel Planer).

If anyone here is familiar with the exact quote, can you post it please, along with the name of the book? I would prefer to use the exact quote rather than a maybe-correct paraphrase...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 231 • Replies: 4
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2023 06:39 am
@Seizan,
He will always be Neil to me.

From what I can make out of the pratchett website Planer narrated 3 books, The Colour Of Magic, The Light Fantastic and Mort, so it may be there.

Are you sure it was Pratchett? I know Planer narrated a monkey scientist on spongebob and there was a group of them, and it sounds like something one of them would say.
Seizan

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2023 04:00 pm
@izzythepush,
Good morning!

Yes, it's from a Pratchett book, and I'm pretty sure it was Nigel Planer or Steven (Stephen?) Briggs.

All I have on my MP3 player in the car is Pratchett (42 narrated books), and it wasn't one of those you mentioned because it was a Vimes tale (didn't involve Rincewind or Mort). Maybe Thud, or Snuff, or the one in which he travels to Uberwald as the Duke of Ankh-Morpork, but I don't have the books and can't listen to another 8 to 12 hours of narration to find one quote. I hoped someone would be familiar enough with this one to correct it.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2023 05:12 pm
@Seizan,
I only saw the Sky versions.

I was put off reading Pratchett by too many of his drunken fans in student unions.
0 Replies

Seizan

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2023 01:22 am
Still haven't found the exact quote and the book from which it comes. Anyone recognize it? Google Search didn't help much...
0 Replies