What a week!

cherrie

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2023 11:16 pm
Well what a week it's been here. I woke up on Sunday morning to alerts on my phone telling me to prepare to evacuate because of a bushfire in the area. I was a little confused because everything looked perfectly normal out the front door and I couldn't smell any smoke. Then I went and had a look out the back door and there it was - huge amounts of smoke coming up about a kilometre from my place.

It was very windy but it was blowing in the other direction so I wasn't too concerned.

It was the last day of a long weekend and also the last day of the school holidays so there was a constant stream of campers and holiday makers heading away from the area, and also a constant stream of fire trucks from the other direction going to the fire.

The wind dropped overnight so Monday was very still and smoky and hot.

That night the wind picked up again and it was gale force with massive gusts. That continued into Tuesday until about lunchtime and then the predicted rain arrived. And fell and fell and fell without any let up. We had almost 4 inches in about 36 hours.

And the temperature plummeted, we woke up this morning to snow on the mountains about 20 minutes from here.

There was another fire a bit east of here where they were being told to evacuate, they had just been able to return to their homes when they were told to evacuate again because of flooding.

So we've had it all this week - fires, floods, gale force winds, snow, torrential rain, heat and freezing cold.

And it's only Thursday.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 209 • Replies: 2
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2023 01:04 am
@cherrie,
Wishing you the best, though I know what that's worth.
Tai Chi

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2023 08:13 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Wishing you the best, though I know what that's worth.

Me too. Hoping things calm down.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What a week!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 07:14:16