Children's inheritance

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2023 01:45 pm
I am 60, been married 39 years, have one child 35 years old. I come from a family that did not make wise money decisions when bringing me up, in other words we were poor beyond what most can imagine. When my wife and I were raising our child, we had a argument about the child have to WORK for what was the child was given/provided. I believed she should have worked and learn to earn, my wife disagreed (because a girl doesn't same opportunities a guy), I conceded. Over the years, I bought within reason, everything our daughter and wife asked for. International travel, college, cars, trucks , and so on. I have worked in a very physically demanding, higher paying industry for 41 years and have built a sizable estate to pass on, HOWEVER, our daughter does not understand the value of the work it took to make this and shows no interest in building or maintaining the estate. My wife and I are at odds because I do not feel our daughter has earned the inheritance, and she feels it is my responsibility to pass it on. Your thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 265 • Replies: 3
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2023 10:20 pm
@diehardfe,
You are only 60 years old and you may need the money you have saved up to support yourself in retirement and the care you may need one day. This can get quite expensive, especially should you need a caregiver in 10 to 20 years.

Your daughter is 35 years old and hopefully works and makes her own money.
She should be able to provide for herself. You could buy real estate, rent it out
and have a nice nest egg for yourself. Go travel with your wife and splurge, once you're gone, you shouldn't care about what's left to your daughter. If she hasn't appreciated the life she's been given up until now, she probably won't appreciate it later either.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2023 09:56 am
@diehardfe,
A digression: You also don't mention the size of your estate, but as someone who grew up in a less than optimal financial situation, you might suffer from something that is fairly common, the inability to enjoy your success. The purpose of working hard and making lots of money is to spend it to enjoy yourself. You should be doing that now. You should be traveling, pursuing hobbies, whatever brings you pleasure. If you are ready, retire and enjoy the fruits of your labor. In fifteen years, you will find yourself slowing down. Now is the time to make memories. While I did not grow up "poor beyond what most can imagine", I was definitely lower middle class, worked in a well paying profession and built a substantial nest egg by saving aggressively and spending moderately. It was easy to learn to spend on my family, vacations, educational opportunities, sports, etc. It was harder to learn to spend on myself.

Back to your daughter. You are obsessing about this way too early. Your daughter is relatively young (and so are you), so there is time to talk to her about savings and investing and you should do that. When each of my children left the nest, I sent them a Word document laying out my financial strategy, not just investing, but thoughts on credit, insurance, spending, etc. Have you had those types of conversations with your daughter? You and your wife have plenty of living to do before you find yourself more interested in sitting at home reliving your glory days. When you get to that point, if you still feel your daughter is financially reckless, a lawyer can help you set up a trust so that your money will live on to the next generation.

One question for you: if you don't feel your daughter and grandchildren should have the money, what would you want to do with it instead? Would that be something that brings you joy? If so, maybe you should be doing that now.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2023 10:41 am
@diehardfe,
I'm older than you and I have every intention of spending the $ I've saved over the years. Your and my life expectancies (unless you are battling cancer or another serious illness, or have been a lifelong smoker) is over 2 decades from right now.

Google the term trusts and talk to an attorney who is well-versed in estate law and talk to him or her about whether a trust will work in this situation.

Note: I am a lawyer, but I'm not your lawyer. This site doesn't give out legal advice; the above is just to point you in the right direction. Thank you.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Children's inheritance
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 06/17/2024 at 12:29:49