Health insurance

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2023 08:32 am
I have a discussion or just an answer if you will . My mother is 62 years old and she is needing to go to the doctors more often . My mother has been married for 32 years to my stepdad who has his insurance through his Union . My step dad is currently is on SSID . The first thing I thought was why can’t my mom get on his insurance they are married right . Well I was recently told that about 13 years ago when my stepdad was qualifying for his disability through the union. They had mailed my parents a letter stating if they want to add my mother to the health plan then now is the time to do so . For whatever reason it was , they didn’t elect to add her on his insurance . My next thing I asked my mom was can you get on ahhccss that way you will have some coverage . She said because her husband made to much annually per their requirement she is not allowed to get ahhccss . So last week my mother went to the doctor and she might have a clot in her heart . They want her to take sone test that cost over 1200$. Well my mother and step dad do not have that money in their bank right now . Does anybody have any idea , option , solution to where my mother should and can go to atkeast get some help with these charges . Please I am a concerned son who just wants my mother to be seen and not let $ decide if she is going to have complications with her health .
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 213 • Replies: 1
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2023 11:12 am
@Deerod13,
Hmm. In the US, generally you can't change work insurance unless it's an insurable event (say, a new baby) or during the open enrollment period, which is often at the end of the calendar year.

She's also, unfortunately, 3 years too young for Medicare.

Does your state have a marketplace under the Affordable Care Act? It might be costly for the time being but could be worth it to hold her until the open enrollment period at your stepfather's union.

Your stepfather should also speak up about the open enrollment period to the union. They have to have something like that, seeing as people's circumstances change all the time.

From the AHHCCSS acronym, I figured out you're likely to be in Arizona. Here's what I could find on Arizona and the ACA: https://benefitoptions.az.gov/aca

Best of luck and good health to you and your family.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Health insurance
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 05/21/2024 at 05:34:30