Real Estate Financial Question

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2023 08:59 am
So me any my partner are both 35, we own a house in Cairns, Queensland, Australia. We paid $375,000 for it on June 2018. Our rate was 1.99% and expired last week, now it is 5.65% The current sale price going on what the identical house next door has sold for is $500,000 and my real estate agent expects to get that at least. She is charging 2.5% commission including GST to sell. $2500 marketing campaign plus legal fees. We owe $300,000 on the house, so unrealised profit of $125,000 plus our invested equity of $75,000 - before any deductions we have $200k. Capital gains if I have worked out correctly we are eligible for the 50% CGT discount and minus costs I think we maybe pay $12,000 in tax, but could be wrong. We currently rent it out at $515 per week, minus 9.5% agent fees and any other maintenance required. It was a brand new house when we bought it and we had $20,000 instant equity from the government on purchasing a new home, which does not need to be repaid, we did need to pay lenders mortgage insurance at $10,000approx. Our mortgage was $385 per week, we also pay $230 per month council rates and $200 per month insurance, it is now $517 (variable) per week and tenants will only increase to $520 and they wish to renew in October, they have been good tenants We lived in it originally for one year, then we had to come back to England. We were permanent residents of Australia however lost that residency last year as we couldn’t return during COVID and then we decided to have a child so we purchased a house here in the UK in October 2020 for £182,000($346,000), of which we owe £145,000. We have recently switched to variable on this house due to fixed term ending a few months ago, we have gone from paying £626 per month at 2.14% to paying £1050 per month at 6% interest. My partner is on maternity leave so is receiving £1100 per month maternity but normally earns £2,400 monthly after deductions and I am a casual worker earning £1200-£2500 per month after deductions. My question is, given the situation does it make sense to sell the house and use that money to pay a major portion of our UK house off or battle the storm at the higher rates over the next 2 years at my best guess? We also have a tie to Australia in the sense of we want to go back there we are just unsure when, maybe when our son is a bit older we will try and apply for a residency return visa and we are unsure if the house will be a positive tick on the immigration application or would it have no bearing at all? I am not seeking legal or financial advice, simply an opinion on what you would do and what makes logical sense. I understand everyone’s situation is different and so is their perspective. Thank you for your time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 213 • Replies: 1
No top replies

engineer

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2023 03:38 pm
@Daryldee1988,
Not up on UK or AUS real estate laws, but from what you wrote, you have a management company managing the property for you. The current tenants do not get to pick the rate they pay, that is controlled by the market. Your costs have gone up, is there room to raise the rent to recoup some of that? Your management company would know what the local market is like, but according to this article, inflation in rental prices has been pretty serious in Australia. How much more rent would make this work for you?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Real Estate Financial Question
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/28/2024 at 10:14:25