Should I be concerned? (Mold)

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2023 10:20 am
I'm currently renting and have noticed what I believe to be mold in the shower. Where I live, the HOA is and charge of these types of repairs. They told the owner that they would cover it with a waterproof paint until they can fix the issue. I want to know if I should be concerned or demand that it be repaired immediately for heath reasons (l am an asthmatic), or considered moving. Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 225 • Replies: 2
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2023 12:27 pm
@D-Sims95,
You hit two forum roadblocks in one post.

We're not allowed to give out medical or legal advice. Both in which you are directly or indirectly asking here.

I'll ask you several question in return. Since you know your own building management and their style of doing things: How diligent and quick to they move into action when it comes to fixing other problem areas? Have you heard of another resident needing a leaky ceiling fixed? Have you heard of another resident needing an electrical problem fixed? Plumbing problem fixed? Whatever.... Are they quick to get a maintenance team (in house or third party contractor) to fix said problem? Or do they drag their proverbial heels and take weeks or longer to get fundamental maintenance issues addressed?

AS for your asthma? You know your own medical history. How often you have asthma attacks. Is your general practitioner concerned about this scenario? Ask them.

Get a third party contractor to make an assessment on the mold. If it's bad, considering consulting a housing attorney. Where can you get one? Google. Or ask a neighbor who has dealt with neglected maintenance issues dealing with said building management.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2023 04:23 pm
@D-Sims95,
Done properly painting over with approved paints or some other form of encapsulation is an accepted form of mold remediation.

However, the question remains of the source of moisture for this mold ie: lack of ventilation in the room or a leak somewhere behind the wall or ceiling. a good source of immediate information would be your local building code officials.

My experience is it will be simple or very complicated requiring opening walls and that process is a "hazardous" materials situation. Black mold is very dangerous and treated on a level that lead remediation is. Simple encapsulation or removal and disposal of materials into a special facility.

There are tests that very quickly can tell you if this is mold or mildew. The local Building Codes and Health Department are VERY helpful.

If it were me, I'd keep that room dry and I'd stay out of it as much as possible and I'd reach out for help sooner rather than later.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Should I be concerned? (Mold)
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/30/2024 at 12:01:41