People in the Workplace

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2023 02:51 am
I am an introvert, but also, I can get along with anyone, and do not mind socializing or being approached with conversation. I put effort into being kind to all, this is an important value to me. I finally started my career about a year ago, in public service, working for the state, and I absolutely love this job. I don’t have a background in this particular genre. I am in my late 30s. I find that people, young and old, still behave like those in high school - having clicks, leaving others out, gossiping, talking about personal life, etc. At the beginning, through training & meeting colleagues, I did have a sense that there was a lot of ego, which sort of decreased my self esteem since I do not have a background. I finished training, and just observed the high school behavior. I tend to be a magnet for individuals that are more extrovert, that love to talk about their self, almost without taking a break. I found myself having to set, sort of uncomfortable boundaries (because I hate confrontation of any kind). Moving myself physically away - since we can choose where we sit at any station daily. Our jobs take a lot of focus, and due to my ADHD and being introvert, I found more peace sitting by myself, but also minimally socializing with other mature, like minded people, every now and then. I have recently noticed that I am caring a lot more what others think about me, & sometimes feel colleagues view me as not interesting or not intelligent. On 1 hand, I just want to focus on this job, improve and grow - only concern myself with those that are like minded, and enjoy peace, on the other hand, I want others to understand me. Some of these individuals act as though they come into work only to socialize and hang out. I find it so unattractive and frustrating. When I have no choice but to sit close to these individuals, I get so stressed out, because I can’t focus. It really annoys me that all they want to do is talk about their personal lives, or goof off, with an emphasis on trying to make people laugh. I also will sit there & think sometimes, people are desperate for others to like them/think they’re cool. Which as I said, I often and others to understand me, but I am not begging for that. I also get mad at myself for being so mean/judgmental. I think there’s a balance. I guess I’m naive, thinking that this would be a more professional setting, with more maturity and kindness. Has anyone else dealt with this? Do y’all have any advice or comments? Am I overthinking everything? How do I just focus on my goal, of coming to work, gaining experience and knowledge, to grow, with also ability to be kind and open to others?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 193 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Mame

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2023 04:22 pm
TLTR (too long to read)

You need to learn how to be succinct and how to use paragraph returns. One long rambling paragraph is not going to entice anyone to read whatever you wrote. If you rewrite it, I might read it.
PoliteMight

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2023 11:44 pm
@Joy2theWorld,
You are like Squidward from Spongebob only until you have been torchered enough do you wake-up and realize you have to be able to work with people despite your likes and dislikes. All that matters is the work at hand. Squidward is an musician yet he works a very important position. Counting money at the register, collecting orders, and closing and cleaning shop when he can. He is the second brain in command at the "Crusty Crab" and while SpongeBob is the master of flipping patties among other kitchen responsibilities Squid-ward does all the dirty work two times over.

You enjoy your job but have a problem with the rationality

High-school never ends, you do not get molded you sign an agreement in your work contract and break every rule in the book, only then do you actually accept your faith as a OCPion. It is okay to talk sometimes there are radio stations you should care about and others you should ignore.

The ego is basically you in your current-state, AKA the here-and-now. The super-ego is your goals accomplished. Your ID is what you most desire and is up to your ego to achieve.

So basically you went through training for a job meant for a college student and your hitting your 40's. That is what you are saying. I wonder what the pay grade is actually, and if there is any room for upgrade. Truth be told many jobs are just place-holders for people out of high-school, and by that logic your "training" is something that even any seventeen year-old could possible achieve along with upgrade-ability.

Your a listener not a talker. You do not lead, you follow directions. That is what you crave. Somebody to be like a radio-station to you.

You need to cut the "confrontation bs" out of your system and take things as you go along. Your at your job or whatever you are a clean machine. Your ADD has nothing to do with you being a listener/follower rather then a leader or open minded.

To hell with what they think, believe, or feel. They like you are cogs in a machine you need to play your role as with there roles. You do the work first then you can be friends later.

So far is you need to know one thing. "We are the dead" -Winston "1984", our lives are hanging on a thread. Sugar is a substance our bodies mass produce and it makes our bones brittle and shrinks our bodies and lives, along with increase of fats, and it is mass produced in our bodies for energy. You have a goal, like Anders Brevick, or John Henry so STFU and think about the ultimate goal, and stop thinking "Me want respect" because I %100 guarantee that you would be screaming "I need income, I need income" if you was not employed. Imagine if you had this conversation with your stupervisor/brozz or whatever. I %100 know they would say something similar. Your employed, do your job, if your not comfortable while your at your desk and have problems focusing let your co-workers know at the present moment. Your income is more important then making frenzy with the fellow help. Your all rowing this "Ben Hur" boat you think your supervisor whip is going to be soft when they find out your not keeping up the pace. Beyond that you have other ideas of income sources then work towards that.

Stress is a problem you have to face no matter what. You have anxiety issues because you want to be acknowledged by your fellow slaves. What is the logic of that. Your task at your station is more important not your bs you go through.

I went to my bank recently. There was one teller. This idiot took his lunch at the end of the day and came back. Right when I was being served she was making conversation with him rather then me, ready to talk to me in a negative tone as if I was her child. It is like talking to a case-worker inside a welfare office, or a baby-sitter. I have worked in an office before and have seen my co-worker a fellow student yabbing her mouth off non-stop. She would not stfu. She even argues with me about our task. Seriously my upper at the time just said "do em all" but honestly she made big talk but did not do her task.

Go see the beginning of the movie "God Bless America". Yes people chat in the workspace but at the same time your own chatting could get you in trouble. Your work comes first so stay dedicated. You want to grow do it through standardize testing, brown-nosing, and actually committing to the job at hand.
Joy2theWorld

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2023 12:30 am
@Mame,
Thank you for advice. New to forums.
0 Replies

Joy2theWorld

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2023 12:53 am
@PoliteMight,
Wow. Although lots of references, you gave some pretty solid & simple advice. Don’t worry about the bs, be grateful for this job/income, quit whining about things that will always be, and stay focused on the goal. I really appreciate your time. I possibly am having an adult tantrum, in my own head, weak human nature. We’re actually dispatchers for police fire & EMS. The work we do. Again, I really appreciate your time, honesty, & advice.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » People in the Workplace
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 03:16:23