Help my daughter with these issues?

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2023 01:14 am
Clara is six years old, but she has dwarfism and comes in at 1‘5“ and 17 pounds. Ok. I’m sorry in advance because this is sort of long.

Just like any child, Clara is wanting her independence. Normally this isn’t an issue at this age, but she is only about an 18 month old in terms of physical development, other than that, everything else is normal. But we are facing a few challenges.

Do y’all have some ideas on our I can help my Clara be able to reach the restroom and the kitchen sink so she can wash her hands by herself? We have tried various combinations of stepstool’s and faucet extenders with no luck. It would also be great if she could see above the countertops, or even reach them.

She also struggles climbing up/down the stairs. I guess it’s not the biggest deal, but given her age she wants to do it independently instead of me having to carry her. She can do it by herself, but it’s done ittle kid style and it takes a while, plus it takes a lot out of her. (I don’t even know if there is a solution but anything helps) right now it is just a huge task for her, it takes a lot of effort for her just to climb up one step. The handrail is way too high for her to reach and we also have to watch out that she doesn’t fall through the banisters.

Also do you have any suggestions to help her be able to turn on and off the lights? Right now we are having to do it for her because she isn’t tall enough to reach the switch.

Also when she is sitting at our kitchen table, we can barely see the very top of her hair when we are sitting across from her. Our table is a normal sized one, but relative to her it is huge. I imagine a small for their age 2 year old sitting at a regular sized table and chairs. Ideally we would like to get her sitting up high enough to see over the table and be able to rest are arms on it and eat with us comfortably, All the while being able to get in and out of the chair by herself. She honestly needs a highchair in order to be at the right height, but she is six years old, I think she’s a little too old to be in a high chair.

What should we do about this when we go to restaurants? Usually when we sit at a booth or a chair, we can’t even tell she is there. And we have tried using the boosters they provide but that just raises are high enough to barely be able to see over the table.

Any advice would be great. I know Clara wants to be independent, but she is physically limited because your body is at the size of a very small two year old.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 382 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Seizan

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2023 03:09 am
https://www.lpaonline.org/a-guide-to-home-modifications

0 Replies

PoliteMight

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2023 10:52 am
@SarahMom,
I do not know what her medical condition could mean but I have seen people literally go to various doctors to be stretched up, from they are children in order for them to achieve a normal or greater height. I do not know about insurance but it could be considered a type of cosmetic adjustment, but I know the process is and can be painful for many as they would be restricted to wearing braces for a long period of time and still would be unable to achieve the normality of others but again you have to read up on those procedures and when they are carried out.

Some models and actresses go through this process despite having normal height. I think Uma Thurman went through this process because her abnormal height ( growth over the years ) and her inability to drive a car. Keep in mind this person is born into a sought of wealth and her great grandmother ( who looks like her ) also was a muse of sorts. ( there is a statue of her in Europe somewhere ).

SarahMom

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2023 12:04 am
@PoliteMight,
That’s a little beyond my budget, plus with a fragil Clara is we would rather not do that surgery right now.

Do you have any solutions for those around the house issues? The stairs and the table and chair issue? As well as when we are out at restaurants?

Also is this posted in the right category? The website was a little confusing. I tried to put it under parenting.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2023 07:46 am
@SarahMom,
Quote:
I tried to put it under parenting.
you can add it as a tag at the top of this page...
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2023 08:07 am
@SarahMom,
Some of the issues will need house modification but your best bet is to invest in a specialized wheel chair that will give mobility and height without too much clumsiness. BCMH can help defray the cost any apparatus your child may need. When out in public this kind of chair can easily slide right under any restaurant table. https://www.rehabmedical.com/pediatricwheelchairs?matchtype=e&network=g&device=c&keyword=childrens%20wheelchairs%20for%20sale&campaign=19769707884&adgroup=144005197342&gclid=CjwKCAjw4ZWkBhA4EiwAVJXwqW-qIpiDe0oNUwQMU4NaiSpdXZLDRwEr21dny9LjEZlMT6fflaQ_NxoCMzMQAvD_BwE

The stairs can be modified with a riding stair lift: https://dolphinlifts.co.uk/product/stannah-child-seat-straight/

Adding a second light switch directly below the original one allows your child access to controlling the amount of light in any room.

Consider adding or modifying a bathroom specifically for her that would include a much lower toilet. Build cabinetry for a lower sink. Consider a walk-in shower unit that have the controls at a level she can reach comfortably.

0 Replies

PoliteMight

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2023 09:03 am
@SarahMom,
Well you should research those things in the future, and see about those procedures to be done. Your budget should not reflect your childs ability to function normal. You think things will hurt now imagine how it will be later on in life. Yes we all could hope for the best and play on the method of thinking that "she will have to come to terms". However you have to consider how other people felt about their _______ and that it could have been solved via a series of operations.

Again you have tons of resources on the web and tons of books, videos, and facilities that deals with this. Imagine being a kid riding a bicycle and scraping your knees. Do you give up riding? imagine taking that first long ride around the edge of the neighborhood, city, town, and back. Do you complain your knees hurt and riding is not for you? Do you say hey bike too low and I am too lazy to adjust it?

Life throws lemons at you so make lemonade.

YEs your going to have to make changes to your home but do your research because I am sure the hurting will be annoying at first but think about the long run.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Help my daughter with these issues?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/09/2024 at 04:35:37