Baguette Problems

Reply Tue 30 May, 2023 06:41 am
Hi Everyone,
nice to be part of your forum!
I’m enjoying the wealth of information and I’m looking forward to participating and contributing.

My first post, however, is out of necessity, asking for your advice regarding trouble with my baguettes.
I’m making baguettes for a while now and I’m enjoying them (mostly reg. flavour) way over everything bought in stores, where many so-called baguettes are really nothing else than sticks of elongated Wonder Bread.
Here is my problem, hoping to explain it properly:
- scoring disappears when baking / fills up from the inside, leaving a flat surface without ear.
(Even though cuts were deep and pronounced in the first minute in the oven, they
disappeared with loaves expanding)
- Despite being already quite dark (which I don’t mind), the crust it is not crunchy, rather
leathery, can be pushed in with one finger without a noise … then, baking a little longer, trying
to get a crunch, gets even darker and rock hard.
- The inside seems to be too wet, too dense and does not have much of an open crumb.
- The dough, however, in all stages, feels well developed, spongy and light, rises when proofing.

These are my specifics:
- regular bread flour, 70% hydration
- Overnight Poolish, room temp, 0.2% Yeast (IDY) (Poolish is 50% of total flour weight)
- Final Mix: another 0.2% yeast, 2.5% salt
(I tried a bit of Diastatic Malt Powder but it didn’t make a difference)
- After incorporating > Initial rest / hydrating, in bowl, covered ≈ 20 min.
- Stretch & Fold, twice, 30 min. rest ≈ 30 min.
- Bulk Fermentation: 2 hours, in bowl, covered
- dividing / pre-shaping ≈ 30 min.
- Couche / proofing ≈ 1 hour
- scoring, followed by immediate baking at 250°C on a pizza stone (pre-heated)
(including some water in a tray and from a spray bottle for steam – first 5 minutes)
PS: I must mention that I like to include a bit of Caraway as I like that flavour. Could it be that any herbal additions might disturb proper fermentation? But I tried it without and it didn’t make any difference.
What I’m hoping to achieve is, as seen so many times on YouTube, a light and airy structure,
large air bubbles inside, a dark crust with protruding ear that makes a crunchy noise when squeezed.
Mine turn out: heavy, no crunch (despite being quite dark), no ear and soggy inside.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for your advice in advance.

Cheers
PS: I prepared a picture but can't attach it
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 239 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 30 May, 2023 07:09 am
@Schlootekopp,
Quote:
I prepared a picture but can't attach it
you have to upload the image to a hosting site first...
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 30 May, 2023 07:31 am
Baguettes are very tricky, I've not graduated beyond plain loaves and rolls.

I live in the UK and our recipes are very specific about using French flour, not standard strong white.

Could that help?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 30 May, 2023 11:44 am
@izzythepush,
They take a looong time to make, 18 hours from first steps, and last about 6 hrs before becoming too tough.

I use a recipe from King Arthur Flour, they have a great book - the Baking School (I recommend this book to anyone).

The biggest and most important part is getting the right flour.

Worth it only for people I know who will enjoy them. There are three loafs in this recipe and I've tried freezing the leftover, but had no luck with that.

I have a tremendous respect for the bakers of Paris who make these for a living.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 May, 2023 12:20 pm
It all starts with the flower, which should be T65 flour - T65 flour is equivalent to Type 1 Italian flour, Euro 650 flour type and high gluten bread flour.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Baguette Problems
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/15/2024 at 01:49:25