RV living

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2023 11:41 am
I watched a few shows where people are looking to purchase an RV to live in full time. I thought wow this sounds really cool. I could travel and work out of my RV. Seriously, I could quit my current job and work with a group that only does virtual work. I love counseling teenagers, but I do not see why I could do this virtually.

In any case, has anyone experienced this? Is this safe? I would have my dog but he is kind of lovable so I am not sure how much protection he would have other than bark and then lick them to death.

At this point it is just fantasy, but was curious if anyone knows about this lifestyle.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 267 • Replies: 6
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2023 12:06 pm
@RPhalange,
RPhalange wrote:

Seriously, I could quit my current job and work with a group that only does virtual work. I love counseling teenagers, but I do not see why I could do this virtually.

Not failing to mention that you'll likely will need at least a proper social work certificate, if not a social work related degree.

Quote:
Is this safe?

Of course it's safe. Conservatives love to lament that crime is running rampant. We live in a huge country. Statistically speaking, you will likely never be a target of ... say a robbery while living in an RV. Especially if you move around a lot. And you're shrewd about what towns you decide to temporarily take residence.

Most of the time, you're not going to be allowed to park ANYWHERE - overnight. So, people living in RVs will look out for RV parks. Just find one that will have active security patrols. Did you really think that living in RVs would be virtually free? This will be one of the costs. Many towns and cities will ticket RVs that just randomly park overnight in places where that isn't allowed.

RPhalange

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2023 02:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
Not an issue, I have the degree and license. It is just moving from working from in a school to finding a practice or group that is set up with virtual visits. The one issue I know I would need to research is I might not be able to go to another state and practice. I know if I were to treat someone across state lines, I would need a license for that state, but it is more gray if I am in another state, have a license in my previous state and am working with clients only in that state. From my understanding each state is different.

But it got me thinking. With covid so much more of this is virtual visits with many people conducting all their appointments this way. And there may be an opportunity I can combine my love of camping, nature and travel.

But whether or not I logistically can do this workwise was not my question. The question I had was is it safe for a woman to travel this way alone; just simply.

And for some reason you are implying many things about me that make no sense. I did not insinuate that crime is running rampant; nor that I was conservative. I did not state I was parking anywhere and it would be free.

If it helps I am an avid camper; having my summers free. I know it is not free to stay at a camp even state camps. I just have never camped alone, always with a small group and usually not more than 4 days at a time.

I was just wondering if traveling this way alone as a woman was safe. And if anyone has lived this way for a period of time. Also to add, if someone has lived this way, how did they like it? What were the pros and cons?
Mame

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2023 02:53 pm
@RPhalange,
Hi RP:

I'd love to do what you're considering and have been thinking of travelling in a camper van for parts of the year. I think it's exciting and you should go for it!

I don't know how safe it'd be, but it couldn't be any less safe than being at a school, mall or church in the USA (ha ha). If I find a decent camper van, I'm going to travel through all the tiny towns in Canada.

As far as parking goes, here you can park it on any street as long as it's licensed, but I would not park it in front of homes (more on a side street). You'd have to look up the rules where you plan on going - maybe there's a time limit? Or width of the vehicle? I saw a youtube video of a woman who parks her RV at a Walmart every night, but who knows?

As far as camping with it, my experience is that the people that go camping are generally a lovely bunch.

Maybe find a website or blog or something? Or there could be a meet-up group somewhere that has advice. Or Facebook? I belong to several on FB who live in areas I've been considering (Central America, Colombia, etc) and they are full of great advice.

I envy you!
RPhalange

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2023 03:09 pm
@Mame,
Thanks. The licensing thing across state lines is the biggest hurdle, but with covid it has been getting easier and easier and there is a large group of states now that are part of "Psypact", but it would limit me a bit to where I can travel and have clients. However, if I find the right group that is doing telehealth this way, it is a possibility.

Being single and nothing to hold me back it seemed good timing. Not sure if I will, but wanted to see anyone else's experience.
Mame

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2023 03:28 pm
@RPhalange,
Does your College have information about other states' requirements, if any? Could be a good place to start. I can see your dilemma - providing counselling to people in your state when you're out of state could be a real issue.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2023 04:43 am
Something like this.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » RV living
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 08:24:39