Visit by "Famous Person"...

Seizan

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2023 03:37 pm
Here is a sort of "Dear Abby" question.

This is not theoretical...

How would I diplomatically tell a world-famous movie star, sensationalist YT personality, reporter, etc. that I prefer he does not visit me? The visit would be for a video interview and photo-op that would be posted or published worldwide.

Many of the "interviews" posted consist mostly of his highly-opinionated views presented in a snide, mocking, and sensationalist manner. The few that are less sensational are just over-dramatic, complete with exaggerated facial expressions and inappropriate musical background.

Think in terms of a real-world "Rita Skeeter" (Harry Potter movies), a tendency to aggrandize, the writing or speaking ability to really trash someone publicy if thwarted, and the legal know-how to get away with it smelling like a rose.

Or think in terms of your own most-intensely disliked TV interviewer asking you for an interview, when you've seen what he can snidely do to others once he gets the video to the editing room (and that's the greatest reason for declining an interview).

The photo-op is for a "See, we're really good buddies, all this was just in fun!" sort of thing.

I don't need the kind of "fame" that goes along with this sort of interview...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,146 • Replies: 13
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2023 03:53 pm
@Seizan,
Can't you just tell him you are not interested in doing interiews?
Seizan

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2023 03:59 pm
@roger,
Oh yes, I just want a good, proper wording that he can't really twist or abuse.

He gets away with being obnoxious under the wraps of "journalistic license", which makes no sense to me. And few people really have the bucks to take him to court over it.
Mame

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2023 04:25 pm
1. Why does he want to interview you?

2. Just say No, thanks.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2023 04:38 pm
@Seizan,
You say you want yo be diplomatic, but in the next breath you complain about nobody having "the bucks to take him to court over it."

Which is it, do you want to be diplomatic or do you want to "take him to court?" because you can't have it both ways.

There's no diplomatic way of saying that you don't want to do the interview because you think he's an arsehole.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2023 04:40 pm
@izzythepush,
"Your style of journalism does not appeal, and I do not want to be interviewed by you," is the bsst I can do.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2023 07:43 pm
@Seizan,
Seizan wrote:

Here is a sort of "Dear Abby" question.

This is not theoretical...

How would I diplomatically tell a world-famous movie star, sensationalist YT personality, reporter, etc. that I prefer he does not visit me? The visit would be for a video interview and photo-op that would be posted or published worldwide.

Many of the "interviews" posted consist mostly of his highly-opinionated views presented in a snide, mocking, and sensationalist manner. The few that are less sensational are just over-dramatic, complete with exaggerated facial expressions and inappropriate musical background.

Think in terms of a real-world "Rita Skeeter" (Harry Potter movies), a tendency to aggrandize, the writing or speaking ability to really trash someone publicy if thwarted, and the legal know-how to get away with it smelling like a rose.

Or think in terms of your own most-intensely disliked TV interviewer asking you for an interview, when you've seen what he can snidely do to others once he gets the video to the editing room (and that's the greatest reason for declining an interview).

The photo-op is for a "See, we're really good buddies, all this was just in fun!" sort of thing.

I don't need the kind of "fame" that goes along with this sort of interview...

When it happens to me, I always tell them to **** off.

People like us do not need to be bothered with polite.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2023 08:24 pm
@Seizan,
So, Don Lemon is interviewing you? Wink

Just tell him/her that your new publicist has advised you to hold out on interviews and photo ops for a while as he's got a different plan for you.
Whatever the publicist is working on, you have agreed to abstain from
interviews for the time being.
Seizan

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2023 12:40 am
@izzythepush,
I don't want to take him to court over something he hasn't done yet anyway. I don't want to insult or offend him either, and give him a chance to take pot-shots at us, like a duck on a fence. I just want to diplomatically say "No thank you" without stirring up his muddy side.
0 Replies

Seizan

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2023 12:45 am
@CalamityJane,
This is good, I like this.
0 Replies

Seizan

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2023 12:48 am
@Mame,
Quote:
1. Why does he want to interview you?

Because of my position of being the last senior teacher of an old style of karate, and because I wrote/published a few books about the system which have become surprisingly popular and influential in some karate circles.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2023 11:08 am
@Seizan,
Well, were you successful? I've been hoping everything turned out well.
Seizan

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2023 06:16 pm
@glitterbag,
He let the "secret" out to his followers that he will visit Okinawa during this spring or summer, and "just drop by" my place. I think he wants to drop in while I have a dojo full of foreign students. One of his methods of ensuring an interview is to pop in with his full video crew etc. during training -- few would refuse his interview request because to so do in front of many students would be embarrassing.

My students don't want to be associated with him either, so the surprise will be that I can simply say "No thank you". If pressed, I will tell him that we are not interested in being interviewed, and that even if we were, legal releases for videoing students (including minors) have not been secured from parents, etc.
0 Replies

truongtuthuctotnhat

Reply Fri 19 May, 2023 08:55 pm
Tell me How I can see a Famous Person!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Visit by "Famous Person"...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 05:54:17