Gay rights for Christian school employee

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 11:09 am
My cousin is coaching for a Christian school. She is living with a family (her girlfriend's family), going to college nearby and coaching part time for this school.

The athletic director approached her yesterday. He warned her that the HR woman said she has seen that my cousin is in a gay relationship and living with her girlfriend and does not think it is appropriate for her to work with the girls at the school. The athletic director has said it is not an issue and has not been a problem. He made it clear to her that he does not judge others.

In other words, her private life has remained private and she would never discuss any part of it with the girls. She is coaching them in sports, not her private life and respects all the values of the school during her interaction with the teams.

It seems there is someone in the office who is also a mom of a girl on the team that the athletic director suspects is "stalking" her social media. I gave her the advice to make sure all her social media is private as she plans on working with children after college and should always whatever her situation is to keep her private and media accounts separate from her work life with children.

I am familiar with public schools as I work there and know this would not fly at all, but what about private and with Christian in the name? The school is not associated with any church but is noted as Christian and that you agree to follow Christian values. At this point she just wants to keep the job until end of next month when the season ends and has no desire now to continue after the season.

I know from reading on here that you cannot give legal advice, but just want any advice or thoughts or experiences of others.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 208 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 11:14 am
Well state laws vary, some states they can still fire an employee for being Gay. I would check her state laws then seek the advice of an attorney.
RPhalange

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 11:38 am
@jcboy,
The thing is it probably is not worth pursuing for a part time coaching job that does not pay much. Just did not know people's experiences.

The good news is the athletic director is standing by her. And if it is illegal and she wanted to pursue it, this woman clearly voiced she thought she should be let go so it isn't like now she could go and say your fired because you stink as a coach.

The thing is it seems very vague whether you can say discrimination for a private school that does not accept any federal/state funding. I did advise that she search for a state type service that could answer any questions whether she would be protected or not.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 12:16 pm
@RPhalange,
There have been a number of cases where private schools have fired gay employees for not following their "moral" codes and the courts have upheld these firings. I think your advice to your cousin is spot on.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Gay rights for Christian school employee
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 4.39 seconds on 07/05/2024 at 11:27:21