Is my neighbour being unreasonable?

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2022 11:01 am
I live in a small flat with a neighbour above. Our walls are thin. Several times a week after he returns from work, he begins a speakerphone conversation with his family and friends which I can clearly hear in my living room and kitchen. This will usually last from about 4:15pm until around 9:30pm. He conducts most of the conversation by his open window (even in the coldest weather). This makes me feel insecure, invaded and frustrated, as I cannot escape this constantly buzzing sound.
I have asked him courteously to close his window, as this would greatly reduce the transmission of his noise. He refuses, saying that because he doesn't do this late at night, I have no reason to complain. Am I being unreasonable?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 317 • Replies: 5
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2022 11:10 am
@Airlane1979,
You're not being unreasonable. It's about time you escalated and reached out to your landlord. Have him/her address the obnoxious neighbor.
Mame

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2022 12:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
In fact, invite the landlord over during the times he's on the phone, or record it and play it to him. Your neighbour is an ass.
Mrknowspeople

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2022 02:00 pm
@Mame,
That sounds like ass
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2022 11:51 am
@Airlane1979,
Yes, you are being unreasonable.

Quiet enjoyment of the premises also applies for your neighbor as well as you. You're not complaining of a loud tv volume, vacuuming or even fights that go on all night long.

The phone calls are during the day and interferes with no other building activity.

I suggest counseling to get a hold of these feelings that make you "insecure, invaded & frustrated." Somehow I don't think they're related to a neighbor talking on the phone to his family and friends.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2022 05:22 pm
No, you are not being reasonable. He's done by 10:00PM which is the earliest most sound abate laws come into play. He's not screaming, is he? Compain to the PD and see if they think you need a relief.

I'm a landlord, like I'm going to kick out a tenant who is "loud on the phone" until before 10:00pm. Ear plugs, ear phones, turn on your music, take a chill pill, sit somewhere else.

You seem to want to spike the ball on this guy. What else has happened?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is my neighbour being unreasonable?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 04:53:36