Speed Limit Question

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2022 04:42 pm
My question came about when I was in the car with another person who was driving. He got upset when a driver in front of him caused him to slow down and he said, this idiot is not even driving the speed limit!

I had to laugh by definition isn't the speed limit the maximum you are supposed to drive and not the minimum? However, in his defense most drivers use the speed limit as the minimum amount of speed to drive and then what they seem to consider the maximum is 10 miles over the posted speed limit.

Is that your experience where you live?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 467 • Replies: 17
No top replies

engineer

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2022 07:35 pm
@RPhalange,
Depends on how the speed limit is set. In places that use the 85th percentile method, usually drivers naturally end up around the speed limit. On big highways, the speed limit is set artificially low compared to what people would naturally drive, so people tend to speed.
Real Music

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2022 09:14 pm
@engineer,
Can someone get a ticket or citation for driving too slow?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2022 03:49 am
@Real Music,
Over here you can, although you're more likely to be charged with driving without due care and attention.

According to the DVLA, on a motorway you should drive beteen 50 and 70mph, any slower is a hazard.

Drivers maythink you'redriving faster redulting in excessive braking, especially HGVs who need more time to manoeuvre.

There are also minimum speed limits in tunnels, usually 30mph.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2022 06:55 am
@Real Music,
On major highways, there is a posted minimum, but generally no. Many a time on a backroad highway, I have ended up behind a farmer and his tractor.
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2022 01:44 pm
Yes. You can be ticketed for impeding traffic. (US)
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2022 10:11 am
But probably not, say on a rural road.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2022 11:21 am
Over here the national limit on a single track road is 60mph, 70ph on a dual carriageway or better.

Anything other than that is marked with road signs, usually 30mph in urban settings, down to 20mph near schools and such.

That means that on most country lanes the speed limit is 60mph.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f5/d9/53/f5d953cf3547c6299e794b9e902d8a6d.jpg

The speed limit is 60mph. Good luck with that.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2022 03:02 pm
@izzythepush,
Here in crazy-assed Texas, that would be a 70mph road. We have unlimited access hwys with homes that have driveways onto the roadway. All over the state. The western half of I-10 is at 85MPH.
Mame

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2022 03:26 pm
@izzythepush,
Question for you, izzy... why is your petrol sold in metric but you drive in Imperial? Litres vs miles - how long has it been like that?
oralloy

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2022 03:34 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:
Here in crazy-assed Texas, that would be a 70mph road. We have unlimited access hwys with homes that have driveways onto the roadway. All over the state. The western half of I-10 is at 85MPH.

When I went out to Wyoming for the 2017 eclipse, there was a huge east/west divide when we crossed from Minnesota to South Dakota. Crossing the state line felt like being in the Millennium Falcon when it jumps to light speed.

On Minnesota freeways, the posted speed limit was 70, and traffic (including us) drove at 75.

On South Dakota freeways, the posted speed limit was 80. We nervously inched up to 78 so we would not be driving too slow, and everybody still wizzed by us like we were standing still.

I estimate that the traffic that was passing us was mostly doing 90, with about 5% of the cars weaving through the traffic at 100 (that 5% was passing the regular traffic like it was standing still).

They had 70mph two-lane roads in Wyoming too.

I'm thinking of Amtraking my way to Texas for the 2024 eclipse.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2022 03:58 pm
@Mame,
There's always been an inbuilt reluctance to accept metric.

We couldn't avoid it with sales, although many grocers and butchers did, and still do sell in both measurements.

The Rabid Brexiteers are banging on about pounds and ounces but no one else gives a ****.

I don't think petrol retailers are going to want to start selling in gallons now that a litre is so bloody expensive.
Mame

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2022 05:02 pm
@izzythepush,
Ah, thanks. We have the same issues with the grocery prices being in both (sometimes), but they will often publish their prices in grams or in pounds for the same store flyer. Makes it very confusing and annoying. Our cars here have to have km on the odometer, but they usually come in both.

We measure and weigh ourselves in metric; almost nobody talks miles anymore; our baking measuring tools are in both. I still don't know what 100 ml or 30 gr is. I guess I haven't learned it very well!
Real Music

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2022 11:29 pm
@engineer,
1. I was wondering what would happen if the posted speed limit on the interstate was 65 mph
and all the cars on the interstate were driving at least 65 mph.

2. There happens to be one car driving 35 mph and impeding the flow of traffic of the other drivers on the interstate.

3. Would that one driver get a ticket or citation for driving too slow or driving far below the posted speed limit?
engineer

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2022 01:18 am
@Real Music,
They could, yes.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2022 05:22 am
@Mame,
The thing I find most annoying is on packet foods, ones where you have to add liquid to reconstitute.

Beforehand, they were all imperial, fluid ounces, but when it changed to metric they kept the same proportions but changed from imperial to metric meaning measurements are ridiculous. Things like 278ml. Now my jug does fluid ounces and metric in 50ml bands.

How on Earth am I supposed to measure a fiddly amount like that?

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2022 10:33 am
@izzythepush,
Go Latin on them: facet.

Know what would be a clever thing for packet makers to do? Make the volume of the packet the same, or a regular portion of the needed added liquid.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2022 01:54 pm
@izzythepush,
Yeah, they should put both on the labels because some recipes are in imperial and some in metric. Annoying for sure!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Speed Limit Question
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 09:30:57