How I became an anarchist

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 07:45 am
I was about 8 years old. On saturdays my grandmother would offer me a nickel if I would go into town with her to help load groceries into the car. The grocery store was on main street with no parking lot or such ammenities as 'carry-out'. It so happened that the grocery had a coke machine with those 7 oz coke bottles and the price was one nickel so, for helping my grandmother carry out the groceries I could get a coke which was quite a big deal in my life at the time. Anyway, one saturday we went into town as usual and grandma gave me my nickel as we walked into the grocery and the coke machine was right by the front door behind the check-out clerk. I put in my nickel and pushed down the handle to deliver my coke when I looked at the machine and there, on a piece of card-board were the words "New Price, coke now 6 cents, please pay the cashier 1 cent." Well, I had my coke in my hand but no penny for the extra cost. I puzzled for a split second and then Pop, I opened that coke bottle right there in the door of the machine knowing full well I did not have the extra penny and guessing that they would not take back an opened coke bottle. I then went over the few steps to the cashier and explained my situation of not having the penny. The clerk said "WE will just have to talk to your grandmother about this" Well. eventually my grandmother showed up at the cashier and all was explained. I got a very nasty look from grandma and she said "well, you were hardly worth the nickel and darn sure ain't worth 6 cents just to carry out the groceries but I see you have already drunk the coke so this one time I will pay the extra penny but it won't happen again." It was right then and there that I became an anarchist.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,064 • Replies: 54
No top replies

Letty

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 07:48 am
dys, is that a true story or did you make it up? If true, than I do NOT blame you one bit. That's my one cent! Razz
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 07:49 am
Big decisions are based on nothing...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 07:57 am
Letty wrote:
dys, is that a true story or did you make it up? If true, than I do NOT blame you one bit. That's my one cent! Razz

Absolutely true.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 08:47 am
Actually, your fiscal policy sounds more like Bush Republicanish to me. Great story though!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 09:12 am
we went to the laundry-mat, where the coke bottles was lyin' on their sides behind a door. Then, when nobody was lookin', we'd put a cup under the bottle and pop off the cap with a church key.

Guess anarchy just came natural to me an' my brothers . . .
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 09:16 am
Setanta wrote:
we went to the laundry-mat, where the coke bottles was lyin' on their sides behind a door. Then, when nobody was lookin', we'd put a cup under the bottle and pop off the cap with a church key.

Guess anarchy just came natural to me an' my brothers . . .

well yeah I can relate to that technique but think about it set, I got the bottle as well as the coke which means I got the deposit money back.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 09:22 am
Thomas wrote:
Actually, your fiscal policy sounds more like Bush Republicanish to me. Great story though!

Oh no Thomas! my coke was totally paid for, Bush republicanism would have charged it to future generations while giving a tax cut to coke.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 09:24 am
Always thinking, always thinking. Anarchy at such a tender age--recognizing the possibilities immediately--and he never outgrew it. That's my honey.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 09:44 am
Dys
dyslexia wrote:
Thomas wrote:

Oh no Thomas! my coke was totally paid for, Bush republicanism would have charged it to future generations while giving a tax cut to coke.

Now I know, finally, why Bush wants to gut Social Security. It's that damn penny your grandmother paid for you, which depleted her savings and drained her SS account.

It's all your fault, you greedy, skinny ass cowboy.

BBB
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 09:49 am
You tell 'im BBB. Hot damn, that boy caused all sorts of trouble, graduating from giving his grandma agitta to harrassing Republican neo-cons.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 09:54 am
dyslexia wrote:
Thomas wrote:

Well, if I had been in America when I was this age, I would have given the man a stock option in my start-up -- and he would have fallen for it. You must have lived in a very different time, or you wouldn't have charged it to past generations.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 10:19 am
So, you formed a lifetime commitment to anarchism at the age of 8? Wow. I'm impressed.

When I was 8, I was busy making original clothes for my Barbie out of scraps I found around the house. Guess I should have been focusing on bigger things.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 11:05 am
dyslexia, You are a truly talented writer. This is by far the best thing I,ve read on this forum. to succecfully communicate such a profound and complex idea in this way puts you in class with the pro's. Can I show some other people this?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 11:37 am
Dys is one of a kind, alright. Wink

Stick around, Amigo. If you enjoyed that, you're gonna love this place.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 01:13 pm
Well Amigo (nice name, just friendly enough without being pretentious) my friends call be Dys or The Dys. I have a patent on my life history but I only use it to look up the skirts of ladys which is how I found out about the lady Diane not wearing (wait that's another story) anyway of course you can use any ramblings I might make here as long as it's for a good cause. Also, I would request that you never mention again that you reside in southern california (or Calafia as we say here in the real west) Happy trails Patron.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 01:48 pm
You got it, buddy.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 01:53 pm
Re: How I became an anarchist
dyslexia wrote:
I was about 8 years old. On saturdays my grandmother would offer me a nickel if I would go into town with her to help load groceries into the car. The grocery store was on main street with no parking lot or such ammenities as 'carry-out'. It so happened that the grocery had a coke machine with those 7 oz coke bottles and the price was one nickel so, for helping my grandmother carry out the groceries I could get a coke which was quite a big deal in my life at the time. Anyway, one saturday we went into town as usual and grandma gave me my nickel as we walked into the grocery and the coke machine was right by the front door behind the check-out clerk. I put in my nickel and pushed down the handle to deliver my coke when I looked at the machine and there, on a piece of card-board were the words "New Price, coke now 6 cents, please pay the cashier 1 cent." Well, I had my coke in my hand but no penny for the extra cost. I puzzled for a split second and then Pop, I opened that coke bottle right there in the door of the machine knowing full well I did not have the extra penny and guessing that they would not take back an opened coke bottle. I then went over the few steps to the cashier and explained my situation of not having the penny. The clerk said "WE will just have to talk to your grandmother about this" Well. eventually my grandmother showed up at the cashier and all was explained. I got a very nasty look from grandma and she said "well, you were hardly worth the nickel and darn sure ain't worth 6 cents just to carry out the groceries but I see you have already drunk the coke so this one time I will pay the extra penny but it won't happen again." It was right then and there that I became an anarchist.

What it took you 50 years to remember this story???

sorry man! devil made me say that. :wink:
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 02:07 pm
Will Husker you know I had a stroke not all that long ago and things are just beginning to recur in my memory.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 02:16 pm
Dys
dyslexia wrote:
Will Husker you know I had a stroke not all that long ago and things are just beginning to recur in my memory.

Sheeeeesh! Does that mean we are going to have to read all about the doofus things you did as a kid and young man?

BBB
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How I became an anarchist
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 06:48:43