No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2022 08:39 pm
from the comments:

KeyClavis
KeyClavis
2 weeks ago
Can confirm.

Ate some cheese puffs and after only four or five, I started having an asthma attack. Since the flavor was a little off, I checked the label and it said "cricket flour". It also said "those allergic to shellfish may be allergic to crickets". I'm allergic to shellfish so I went to the bathroom and stuck a finger down my throat. It wasn't soon enough. I got hives over most of my body for a week and systemic inflammation, causing gastritis, an arthritis flareup, and continued asthma attacks, that I'm STILL dealing with two weeks later.

I know very well that allergies like this only get worse for me. This is how my shellfish and bee sting allergies started and now I carry an epipen because with every exposure they got worse until they became full blown anaphalaxis. Crickets (and likely other insects) will follow the same path.

This is the last straw. No more pre-packaged foods. If I don't make it myself, I'm not eating it.
kiwimac

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2022 11:56 pm
If you aren't allergic to shellfish then I don't see a problem.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2022 10:33 am
Insects may be a good source of protein, but the cost of processing to make it palatable will raise the price. I spent a long time trying to find a vegetarian alternative to protein, and I finally settled on homemade seitan. It's very cheap, easy to make, and palatable. I'm tired of spending a lot of money on rising meat prices or bizarre, overpriced, alternative sources of protein.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2022 01:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
Oh God... I already check labels to see if it's from certain countries or has HFCS etc, now I'm going to have to check for bug flour? Thank goodness I buy very little processed food.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2022 05:44 am
American food safety favours the manufacturer not the consumer, there are over 100 carcinogenic additives allowed in the US that are banned in the EU.

This is just another example.

This stuff snould be clearly labelled as a warning to those who have allergies.

Mame

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2022 08:11 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

This stuff snould be clearly labelled as a warning to those who have allergies.

And for those who don't want to eat insects.
jcboy

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2022 08:11 am
@edgarblythe,
You know when I buy the parrot food I put the bag in the freezer for a couple of days to make sure there are no bugs alive in his seed.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2022 10:49 am
@Mame,
Oh god yeah. Who wants to be duped into eating cricket powder, or the like.. I just read that Loblaws sells a number of cricket products here, but at least they have a picture of a cricket right on the package.
0 Replies