Anybody read the Tractacus?

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2022 09:56 am
If so, what did you think? If you haven't read it, why not?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 288 • Replies: 4
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2022 10:07 am
@RangerTim,
RangerTim wrote:

If you haven't read it, why not?

Lobbing a softball question? Get an obvious line drive hit down the right field line.

I haven't read it because I literally have never heard of (what Google says) that particular book-length philosophical work by the Austrian philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2022 11:06 am
@RangerTim,
I've studied it and I've read parts of it. I haven't sat down and read the entire thing through as one might with a novel. For one thing, the logical symbols elude me, never having studied formal logic. But I believe it's possible to get something out of the book even if some of the concepts are hard to grasp. There are many guides you can use. And there's just something special about it that almost anyone can appreciate – the use of German and English on facing pages, the formal nature of the language, and Wittgenstein's aphorisms. It's a unique treasure.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2022 11:23 am
@hightor,
I have read (had to read it)"Logisch-philosophische Abhandlung" in the original German for my university paper in 'Social Philosophy' (topic: Solution-orientation and social work).
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2022 03:18 am
I read it for class.

In 1982.

I haven't felt the need to revisit it.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Anybody read the Tractacus?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 07:55:12