Business NAICS/SIC CODES

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2022 04:05 pm
Hello, I am starting up a business in transportation and was looking for low risk NAICS codes. The areas I was looking into are school transportation, transportation of freight, or transportation of senior citizens
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 207 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2022 05:45 pm
@Premium Enterprise ,
You are in luck as I actually work in business credit and know the NAICS system well.

The NAICS has an old list of high risk codes here. It is woefully out of date and incomplete.

Nothing you're looking at is on it. But that doesn't mean lenders won't see your business as high risk.

NAICS tends to call industries high risk if they meet any of these criteria:
  1. Large number of cash transactions.
  2. Low barrier to entry, meaning a lot of people get into an industry, don't know how to make a go of it, and fail.
  3. Vice industries.
  4. High risk of personal injury and/or property damage.
Virtually any transportation field comes under the last one.

And, even if it's not high risk per the NAICS, it may be considered so by a lender or credit issuer. I've seen notaries dinged as being high risk, which is nuts. They take a few bucks and stamp a bunch of stuff and send their clients on their merry way. Unless someone gets a finger caught in the embosser, there's virtually zero chance of injury. The field isn't vice and in a lot of places you need to take a test or otherwise prove fitness. As for cash transactions, they're tiny. So, the whole system is a bit weird.

So, here are some NAICS codes but they may not make an enormous amount of difference.

• 485410 - School and Employee Bus Transportation
  • 484220 - Specialized Freight (except Used Goods) Trucking, Local (might or might not work for your freight transportation work)
  • 485991 - Special Needs Transportation (includes transportation for seniors)
I looked for related codes in case they could apply, but things like 624120 - Services for the Elderly and Persons with Disabilities specifically excludes transportation.

Will lenders give you a hard time? Hard to say. But I would Google financing for transportation companies or something like that, or look into freight factoring when you start to look around for business financing.

Wish I had better news. I wish you well with your new endeavor! Smile
Premium Enterprise

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2022 05:03 pm
@jespah,
Thank you so much I appreciate this information, very informative!
jespah

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2022 06:44 pm
@Premium Enterprise ,
My pleasure. It's not often that I get to ply my trade here. Very Happy
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Business NAICS/SIC CODES
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 12:06:09