Unusual Medical Condition...?

Seizan

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2022 09:39 pm
I have been writing books about the old karate system I teach. I am nearly finished with Vol.2, up to nearly 500 pages now. I have recently been blessed with access to historical records in Chinese, previously unheard-of in Western society. A few expert translators assisted gratis.

One historical figure I was researching died under mysterious circumstances, and I wondered if others out there have some knowledge of this kind of condition. Here is the excerpt from his own Family Genealogy Book:

""Bai shan xiao wei xian" (Filial piety is the most important of all virtues). He and his wife were well-known as a loving couple, and he was a devoted filial son to his mother. At that time, he suffered an outbreak of malignant sores, due to stimulation from a contradictory conflict between an old woman and his daughter-in-law. He who was master of pen and sword and a great hero of the generation with integrity of virtue, died tragically young. He was 48 years old."

The gentleman in question was a very strong-willed man, highly educated, and not prone to nervous tension or fearful reactions to any situation. Both he and his wife were highly-skilled kungfu experts and he especially was considered a medical genius of his time (b. 1886, d. 1934). He was the founder of a college and of various cultural societies, the principal of a middle school, and both he and his wife were famous philanthropists.

At this time I am waiting on further information, but I believe the "old woman" who had a hatred of, or some sort of severe argument with, the daughter-in-law (possibly the wife of a favorite son?) was probably his mother.

Can someone so strongly balanced and so mentally disciplined feel such devotion to his mother that such a disagreement can cause a nervous reaction leading to a physical outbreak of sores and eventual death?

Has anyone reading this heard of this sort of thing, and is there a name for such a condition?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 358 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Seizan

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2022 02:12 pm
I understand about psychosomatic disorders, but this is a little extreme. Especially considering the victim and his wife were both medically trained.
mark noble

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2022 05:29 am
@Seizan,
Smallpox was rampant in 19th century China, elsewhere too.
The 'well-trained, disciplined, mind' Can affect many bodily intrusions, but Not All.

Have a Lovely Day.
Seizan

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2022 08:57 pm
@mark noble,
Actually the best lead I've heard yet. I did some research on it and found that in 1934 there was in fact a smallpox epidemic in Fuzhou where the man lived. It seems likely that he contracted smallpox.

Smallpox was endemic in most of Asia from the 1800's through the middle 1900's.

Though he was a well-known physician and herbologist, he apparently did not receive variolation nor vaccination, and so was vulnerable to the disease and his condition was probably further complicated by severe mental and emotional stress brought about by ongoing severe arguments between his wife (not his daughter-in-law) and his mother.

Having a well-trained mind, good discipline, physical strength, and a good disposition is no shield against a virus.

Just conjecture, but it seems quite likely.

Thanks, Mark!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2022 09:29 pm
Sounds reasonable.
0 Replies