girlfriend and drinking

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2022 08:16 am
Love my girlfriend of 4 years very much- When she drinks when we are together- She can never seem to stop at 1 or 2- I've asked her to try and cut down when we are together but she gets mad- I don't care if she drinks with her girlfriends etc- Just when we are together- I don't like who she turns into- Am i being difficult?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 443 • Replies: 13
No top replies

engineer

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2022 08:21 am
@skinut68,
No, you're not being difficult, but you probably need to pick a quiet time when everything is good and talk to her about it. You don't say what she "turns into", but it doesn't sound good.
skinut68

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2022 08:39 am
@engineer,
she just doesn't know when to stop- usually stumbling around. a few times she fell which is embarrassing. Generally annoying as most get- Then gets mad at me since I am not drinking as much- but i have no interest
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2022 08:40 am
@skinut68,
skinut68 wrote:

she just doesn't know when to stop- usually stumbling around. a few times she fell which is embarrassing. Generally annoying as most get- Then gets mad at me since I am not drinking as much- but i have no interest

We're not her family or her associates. Maybe an intervention is in order. Drinking problem perhaps?

Therapy or counseling of sorts for her?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2022 08:55 am
I think you're seeing the beginnings of a bigger problem. You might want to distance yourself a bit.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2022 09:41 am
Reminds me of this one friend of mine when I lived in Florida he would want to meet for Happy hour. Problem was he never knew when to stop, I would be halfway done with my first drink and he would be ordering his third because he pounded down the first two!

He would get mad when I would ask him to slow down a bit. There was no talking to him so I just stop going to happy hour with him. We’re still friends on facebook, he now rides a bike because he’s had three DUI’s, in Florida after your third you will never drive in that state again.
0 Replies

skinut68

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2022 11:32 am
Thanks- I don't want to tell her what to do- I just look at it like it's something that bothers me that she has control over. (or maybe she doesn't)- it's not frequent- it's just when we are in group of people/friends- doesn't look like she can stop after 1 or 2
Mame

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2022 01:13 pm
@skinut68,
You CAN, however, set some boundaries. You can say, "We can go, but 2 drinks is the limit and if you agree to that but go over the limit, I'm leaving you there". If she goes over her limit, just leave. You can also video her next time she's falling over, etc., and show it to her. I had to do that with my ex. He was mortified. She can dilute her drinks with soda. But if she "can't" stop, she has a problem and just be aware of it.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2022 01:44 pm
She drinks to excess. She is harming her health not just doing something that you don’t like. She gets mad at you if you don’t want to drink with her. That’s not good. That’s not good for her, you or the relationship. One or two drinks is acceptable and should be enough…especially if you’re not interested in more.

She has a problem and if you’re trying to give the message about constructive criticism that reflects on her being suck. She might need professional help. You’re not a therapist but you’re interested in her health and the future of the relationship. You’re not “telling her what to do” but telling her what you need. There’s a difference. She might be defensive but you need to be firm. Especially if she’s not limiting her intake on her own. She’s troubled now but might not be beyond some help.

Good luck.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2022 02:16 pm
@skinut68,
Do NOT leave a woman who's been drinking alone in a bar. That is extremely irresponsible and dangerous. If you don't like who she is or what she does then break up with her. You do not have to stay with someone who makes you this uncomfortable.

She may or may have an alcohol problem. That's for her to decide. Your decision is if you want to stay with her. That's it.
Ragman

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2022 03:27 pm
@neptuneblue,
I must have missed the part where he was talking about being at a bar. I looked back and he just wrote about when they are together that this happens.
skinut68

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2022 03:52 pm
@Ragman,
i would not leave her alone in a bar- this happens wherever alcohol is served. I agree with the stance if she will not compromise- I will consider moving on. I don't want to - but I also don't want this to continue
Ragman

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2022 04:04 pm
@skinut68,
She will change when something inside of HER says that it’s enough. Whether or not when that occurs is up to her. She may not want to compromise. She’s not thinking straight. She needs counseling or something beyond your paygrade, she doesn’t see the harm YET.
skinut68

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2022 12:18 pm
@Ragman,
she sees it as control- (me controlling her)- and to accept the 5% of times this happens (Meaning accept her for all her trait's and flaws)- I don't quite see if that way - but i understand. If i am wrong or going about this the wrong way- please weigh in
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » girlfriend and drinking
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/07/2024 at 12:27:50